Great Latin Music

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by iplaybass, Sep 9, 2002.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Hey guys, I'm looking for some good Latin jazz or related music. I've got a big urge just to get a couple CD's with some great bass and rhythm, something where the whole CD is chock full of goodness. Any suggestions? I did a search, this topic seems to be poorly addressed, at best.
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    There actually was a very recent thread about latin bassists. Slightly different question as they were addressing bassists specifically but you might get some ideas from it.

I'd recommend the Roy Hargrove's Crisol album called Habana. Really fantastic album. Also, Chucho Valdez's Bele Bele en La Habana or Live at the Village Vanguard are both excellent. Valdez is awesome and a national treasure in Cuba where the piano bench at the national music hall is permanantly set to his height. Also there's Irakere and Cachao...any of their albums.

that's my two cents
    brad cook
  3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Actually, I'm listening to the Caribbean Jazz Project's album entitled Paraiso right now. Good stuff. One of my favorite bassists, Ruben Rodriguez, plays on it. The album has great versions of Coltrane's Naima and Duke Ellington's Caravan.

Also, try the Calle 54 soundtrack. Its almost like buying a Latin Jazz sample CD. Many great musicians on that one.
  4. Qishi45

Aug 29, 2002
    Could just grab The Buena Vista Social Club cd. Good schtuff
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry Gonzalez & The Fort Apache Band!
    ...their entire catalog!

This band is unique 'cause they excel at both types of music-
    Latin & Jazz.

Couple years back-
    Hargrove's Havana album(which I have) won a Grammy for "Best Latin Album".
    A whole lotta folks were upset by that.

Carribean Jazz Project I like, though they remind me of Spyro Gyra's Latin-ish forays.
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'd suggest albums by any of these great artists, some unfortunately deceased.

Tito Puente, deceased

Arturo Sandoval (whose escape from Cuba was recently chronicaled on HBO)

Ruben Blades (acts sometimes in movies, too!)

Irakere (trumpeter Sandoval above once played for this group)

Los Van Van (led by bassist Juan Formell)

Oscar de Leon (Venezuelan )

Actually there are so many fine example os Afro-Cuban jazz. You can spend years studying this style of music.
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Pancho Sanchez! BAILA!!!!!
  8. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Thanks guys! Any album recomendations?
  9. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    1) Cachao's legendary descarga sessions

2) Tito Puente's "Gonzo Mi timblale's" a personal favorite.

3)Cubanismo (self title)

4)Oscar D'leon en nueva york

5)poncho Sanchez a night at Kimball's East

10. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Gotta second that. Amazing trumpeter
  11. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    John Patitucci's "Communion" has some pretty hip latin tracks on it. You get a virtuoso bass player, and "El Negro" on one cd!
  12. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Tito Puente

Spryo Gyra also has some good latin vibes
  13. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Los Amigos Invisibles! Go get BOTH of their CD's!
  14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Pablo Milanes (Cuba)

Silvio Rodriguez (Also from Cuba)

Since "latin" encomapsses Brazilian music too :rolleyes: , You should also check out some Trio da Paz, Zimbo Trio, Sergio Mendes, Hermeto Pascoal (Have you ever wondered what Thelonious Monk would sound like if he were brazilian?) and Chico Buarque.
  15. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Has got a number of albums that are excellent-
    I particularly like "ARETE" w/ John Benites playing bass-
    Check it out & see if you can stand still!
  16. Don't you just hate that? Who's responsible for categorizing these things anyway? When I think Brazilian, I think 'samba' or 'bossa'. That's not to say all Brazilian music is 'samba' or 'bossa', but 'latin'? Give me a break! Fact is, I can't even bring myself to refer to Cuban music as 'latin', but that's me.

Anyhow, I ramble. In response to the original post, try Pete Escovedo "E Street".
  17. Boplicity

One band I was in opened for Los Amigos Invisibles in Caracas several years ago when they were just getting started. I was so impressed with them. It pleased me a few years later to see a CD of theirs for sale in the U.S.

It is good to see that others here at TalkBass appreciate them. But I didn't think of them as jazz. I suppose they could be a type of jazz depending on how much of a purist one is.
  18. Boplicity

For whatever it is worth, this week was the third annual presentation of the Latin Grammies. The prize for Best Latin Jazz Album went to the Gonzalo Rubalcaba Trio for the album Supernova. This CD might be worth checking out for some superior Latin jazz.

Rubalcaba was born in Cuba, but now resides in Florida. He is a noted pianist who has made albums with the likes of Charlie Haden. I seem to recall that Rubalcaba was nominated in the past for other Latin Jazz albums and maybe even won. Don't hold me to that statement though.

Another thought, I wish I knew who the other nominees for this week's award in Latin jazz were. I bet they were very worthy competitors, too.

As an aside, the name of the award is the Latin Grammy. Both the music of Brazil and other countries of "Latin America," including Mexico and also Spain were honored in different classifications of styles.

I'm not sure why the award is called the Latin Grammy. Perhaps the term Latin encompasses both Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries. Maybe "Hispanic" would be too limiting. Not all the awards were given on the air due to length of time, but I don't recall an award for any music from Portugal, though. In contrast, Alejandro Sanz, who is from Spain won Album of the Year: MTV Unplugged.
  19. Boplicity

Brazil also has a very rich popular music tradition, heavy metal, and folkloric music as well. I wouldn't be surprised if it has other classifications, too, but I haven't lived there in thirty years. Big Wheel who is Brazilian, I believe, could be much more informative.
  20. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    From a disbanded band, Illya Kuryaki y Los Valderramas, "Leche." Kind of Jamiroquai/Infectious Grooves-ish funk rock in Spanish, with cheesy touches. Bootsy puts in an appearance on the last track.

Cachaito's thing is good in the "Buena Vista" vein. Gonzalo Rubalcaba usually goes crazy with the chops, but give a listen to "Nocturne" with Charlie Haden. It's a collection of Cuban jazz standards (!) and very understated.

If you like MPB (Brazilian pop with a semi-samba beat), check out Daniela Mercury's "Sol da Liberdade" and her live album "Eletrica." There's some booty-moving stuff.

For the electro/techno stuff, I recommend Kinky.

If you just want a decent sampler of what's out there, pick up the "Amores Perros" soundtrack. No Amigos Invisibles (I think), but a lot of other pop people are represented.