Great Leather Straps

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by MetalMaximus, Nov 8, 2020.

1. MetalMaximus

MetalMaximus

Sep 12, 2020
    Midwest USA
    Good morning All,

I’m looking for suggestions for nice leather straps. Each of my basses and guitars gets their own. My favorite straps of all time (so far, and by far) are Franklin’s 3” padded glove leather straps. I have two of them. I love these straps, and would recommend them over every other strap I’ve seen or tried. But they’re at the top end of what I like to spend (~$80 USD), and to some extent, I like variety.

I recently purchased three Levy’s Leather straps through Amazon (MSS1, MSS2, and PM32). They seem pretty nice and are generally very well regarded, but I ended up having to return 2 of them because the foam wafer they use inside would not spring back. (The Amazon folks folded them rather than rolled them. This caused creasing of the internal padding, and after a few days, only one sprang back sufficiently.) I got replacements for the MSS1 and MSS2, but frankly, I’m a little hesitant to use and keep them. The padded wafer incident makes me consider returning them. I’ve never had a strap have padding issues like this. Is this a known problem with Levy’s straps?

I typically like cushy padded leather straps. I’m not interested in anything super wide, like 4-4.5 inches. I have a couple of Walker & Williams straps. They are pretty decent and I am reasonably impressed for the price, but I’m looking to get something different. I have a couple of DR Buttersoft straps, which I am pretty impressed with and would recommend to others, but I’m looking for something plusher and a little beefier.

Do any of you have thoughts Lakota Leathers 3” bison straps (not padded, but supposedly very soft/supple), Long Hollow Premier Deluxe Padded Softy (2”), or Henry Heller HPAD35 (padded Capri leather)?

Any other suggestions? Ideally, I’d like to stay under $100 USD, and I want real leather.

2. MetalMaximus

MetalMaximus

Sep 12, 2020
    Midwest USA
    Any suggestions?

3. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I like the Moody straps with a suede backer but am also interested in Lakota Leathers bison strap.
    Also like the idea of helping a tribe and hand made goods.

mrperkolator, emjazz, JRA and 2 others like this.
  4. MetalMaximus

MetalMaximus

Sep 12, 2020
    Midwest USA
    @Jim C - I agree. I like the idea of helping the tribe. Hopefully someone with first-hand experience with Lakota Leathers will chime in.

I just ordered a Dunlop bison strap. I’ll report what I think of it once it arrives.

...but I’m still looking for more leather strap recommendations, as I want to pick up a couple of more.

5. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    The Lakota straps are available on Amazon and Reverb but I think I will buy straight from them so they get to keep the maximum profit.

mrperkolator, JRA and Timmy Liam like this.
  6. MetalMaximus

MetalMaximus

Sep 12, 2020
    Midwest USA
    Great minds think alike. I’ve been thinking the exact same thing!

JRA and Jim C like this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    When Levy's was owned by the Levy family, I once wrote them about how they folded their straps and they got wrinkled. The head of the company wrote back, "You know, when I got up and shaved this morning, I saw a couple wrinkles I never saw before, too."

I forgot about it after that :D

8. You can check out...

Well-Hung Guitar Accessories

Mine aren't leather, but he makes some great looking leather straps as well at very reasonable prices. If he doesn't have what you want he can do custom too. The fabric ones I have are super comfortable and great quality.

20201101_123321.jpg

20201101_123339.jpg

9. MetalMaximus

MetalMaximus

Sep 12, 2020
    Midwest USA
    Those look nice! I’m pretty set on leather, but should definitely check them out. Thanks for the tip.

Collin Bass likes this.
  10. He makes padded leather straps too.

11. best strap for the weight of my tribute..super comfort and worth every penny..ordered through sweetwater.
    20200506_050409.jpg

sko1270, Johnny Crab and Mark 63 like this.
  12. Oh yeah, not that it is the deciding factor, but usually when you order a strap you get sometimes a hat, sometimes a t-shirt, as well as other little swag items. Both times I got a bag of cheezies on top of the rest of the swag. maybe it just appeals to me because I'm a fat guy, but how can you beat that kind of service?

Jim C and TVvoodoo like this.
  13. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Henry Heller makes quality straps. With high quality leather you might not need much of any padding.

14. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I like the Franklins too. I have a Basis Black Strap and a second reversible one. The reversible one is red on the other side. Both sides are full grain. It's on my Gibson SG. My Hofners just have a basic single layer Levy guitar strap, so do my guitars, 'cause they're light and don't need more.

15. Slade N

Slade N Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    what make and model is it?

16. Hi slade its a levys strap 4.5" item#from sweetwater is mss24blk. Cheers.

17. Slade N

Slade N Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    great thanks!

18. Troy Eggen

Troy Eggen

Feb 13, 2019
    MN
    I have two LM products straps. Awesome straps!

19. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    Check out Long Hollow Leather, located in Franklin, TN. They’re a small, family-owned leather company and were the original manufacturers of the Franklin Strap. After the Franklin company moved their production, Long Hollow continued to hand craft leather straps under their own name. Their Pinnacle straps are my #1 choice. Top quality, and you’re supporting a local mom and pop business.

Long Hollow Leather Home Page

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022