1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Great looking bass but w/ergonomics that you couldn't stand?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rwkeating, May 19, 2017.

1. rwkeating

rwkeating Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Thought I'd throw this question out for us to have some fun with ...

It seems like there are a ton of cool looking basses out there now a days. What bass have you looked at, thought it was super cool looking, but when played completely turned you off due to the ergonomics of the instrument? Don't forget to mention exactly what you didn't like about it.

2. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Warwick Thumb 5. Horrible neck dive, and the first fret felt like it was in another county.

shoot-r, pcake, MrLenny1 and 18 others like this.
  3. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I find the neck on my Jack Casady to be weirdly wide or thick or something for my little hands. It makes my Jimmy Dean breakfast link size fingers stretch between frets and the neck fills my palm so I have to stretch to get pinky on the E string. But it sounds great and after a little practice is fairly easy to play. So I kept it.

bassestkkm, slugger, bholder and 2 others like this.
  4. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    As much as I love the look and the sound of the Thunderbird, I've never managed to get comfortable with one, be it sitting or having it on a strap. It's not the neck dive, but it simply felt like I was not tall enough (5' 10"/175cm) or that my arms were not long enough. Weird.

This is coming from someone who managed to gig an RD Standard as one of his two main basses for several years...although I've never had a chance to put an RD and the 'Bird side by side and physically compare them.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  5. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Owner of seven basses - eligible for 44 TB Clubs Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I call shenanigans on this thread as thinly veiled Rickenbacker bait.

6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Not so much looks, but after hearing so many rave reviews when they first came out I checked out the Warwicks.

Didn't like the sterile sound, the excessive weight, or the feel of the neck. Not one little bit. Even my guitarist GF who came along was shaking her head after awhile. "Definitely not your bass," was all she said,

I know they have their admirers. But I ended up getting a Spector fiver.

chaak, ajkula66, Saratogacv60 and 6 others like this.
  7. It's what you get used to.

I never bonded with Les Paul guitars, too heavy, strings too far forward of the body, long reach to 1st fret.
    Then I bought a LP shaped 30" semi-hollow lightweight bass, took a while to get used to but LOOOOVE it now.

Kala Ubass lined Fretless.
    Hated them at first, then it was the only instrument I had for 2 weeks on holiday and I was playing like Jaco after the first week.

8. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    Mockingbird.

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Atlanta, GA.
    My two Ric 4003s. Couldn't get over the slab top and sharp edges.

Warwicks sans my SSI. Too much neck dive.

Hofner. Neck dive and felt like a toy in my hands.

10. Element Zero

Element Zero

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Musicman Stingray 5. Love the tone, but just too hard for me to play. Left hand cramps after 5 minutes.

11. jag-atk

jag-atk

May 5, 2010
    My beloved fender CIJ jaguar. Beautiful looking and sounding bass but with horrible balance/ergonomics. It gave me pains in my left elbow if I played it for more than 30 mins. I kept it for seven years and ended up trading it with a bubinga/wenge Warwick Corvette. Yep another bass with weird ergonomics, but fortunately no elbow pains this time.

12. Thummel

Thummel Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    I also struggled with the string spacing of the Stingray 5, they are just slightly too close together for my liking. I love the tone though and have a Stingray 4 string that I really enjoy.

In regard to the Hofner Beatle bass I agree as well, the one I had felt cheep and if I dug in too hard with my plucking hand I would pull a string off of the bridge

BrotherRay likes this.
  13. twinjet

twinjet jazz bassist / G&L enthusiast Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    My old Precision Bass. My first high end instrument. Looked great, sounded blissful, hurt to play. Had to let go of it. That neck felt comfortable for the first few minutes in the shop, but comparing that to your first gig-hour... Not the same. :(
    20160618_100919.

Sartori likes this.
  14. zoonose

zoonose

Apr 4, 2005
    Long Beach, MS
    My second bass was a B.C. Rich Warlock- at the time, I thought it looked pretty cool, and it played & sounded great. So much neck dive I couldn't play it standing up.

15. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I had an epiphone Les Paul 5-string. Beautiful bass, but with a massive neck and tiny body, it was a huge chore to play. Neck dive crazy.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Explorers and their clones, Firebirds with reverse bodies, and Steinbergers that are missing the thing attached to the back. Makes me left arm stick way too far out. Shame because I love all of them otherwise.

twocargar likes this.
  17. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2012
    B.F.E.
    Rics an accordian is more ergonomic. Pretty much any bass Gibson ever made.
    popcorn.

18. Fender.
    Yeah, sorry. I've owned a few, but rarely played them because they are so uncomfortable (mainly neck profiles) and heavy!

JRA likes this.
  19. This 100% for me too (I owned a Pro Series Thumb 5 for a year and a half before getting rid of it).

Delsan likes this.
  20. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Epiphone Expert six string. It's a sort of rare, neck-through Epiphone,and it was a great bass in every way. But it had a really short lower horn, so it would constantly slip off my knee wnen seated, so it had to go.

Last edited: May 20, 2017