Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Great Loud Amp for Cheap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joegeezer, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Being an old fart, I'd just like to tell all you young kids, that I think the greatest amp deal out there right now, that sounds the best, is loud as hell, and is cheap, is a Behringer 300 watt head, and a Legion Sound 8-10 bottom from Steelsound, out of Colorado. For about 600 bucks total, you will have a great, loud, amp that will last you for many years. You can always bring a smaller cab for little gigs, but I don't think there's any thing out there anywhere, that will beat this set-up, for price, to volume , to sound , and reliability. I use mine all the time and love it! A lot of us guys can't afford these designer cabs, and audiophile type heads! This set-up is cheap and I think sounds as good as the stuff all these people tell us is better. I think alot of folks have to say how great they are, just to justify to themselves that they were ok spending that much on these set-ups, when they aren't any better than what they could have had for cheap!

2. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    I own that head and agree with you whole heartedly. Be prepared though for the group of Behringer bashers to surface in this thread and tell us that we are immoral, unethical neanderthals for owning their gear.
    I am going to dig up some info on the legion sound cab right now, thanks for the post.

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I haven't used the Behringer or the Legion Sound, but I am a huge fan of great, loud tone for cheap. I play Carvin amps exclusively and many TBer's would have me believe that they suck. (Business ethics aside.) All that really matters here is that you are happy with your sound and feel good using your equipment. Don't let other peoples' opinions cloud your judgement and be happy in the fact that you found what a lot of people never do......peace of mind and great tone.

4. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Uh oh....

I smell trouble....

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    You are immoral, unethical neanderthals for owning Behringer gear. :p

I wouldn't play Carvin or Behringer amps, but that's just me. I've had bad experiences with Behringer mixers and mics. But do whatever works for you, dude.

6. Sounds like a good rig! I picked up a HA3500 and a 215xl for $650.00 I think I got a good deal also. When my jeans are shaking I could care less what anyone else thinks! :)

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Joe,

Would you please consider filling out your profile so we can decide whether to shun and ignore you, or engage in some spirited discourse, or whatever? ;)

thanks,

_____________CE

8. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I've retired from the ethics discussions (for the most part), so I'll leave that to others.....

But tell you what. You bring your $600 Behringer/Legion Sound rig, and I'll bring my SVT 3 Pro and Traynor 6x10, both purchased used for a combined $500.... and let's just see if it can't be beaten "for price, to volume , to sound , and reliability".....

:p

9. that's true, more money doesn't equal best sound. that's why you go to ebay and look up old peavey bass gear

10. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    most old farts don't carry 810's anymore. i know they are practical for getting a lot of volume out of your watts but good god they are almost 200 pounds or so. it would probably be an ok rig for starters but i would personally try and stay away from the 810's till you hired some roadies.

never really liked the sound of an 810 either (i've only gigged with one once though. an ampeg)

11. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    It doesn't matter if you spent 200 dollars or 2000 dollars. If you like the way your rig sounds than more power to you. :cool:

Do what makes you happy. If you just so happen to not spend a lot of cheddar to get it than woohoo!!! I think over time people begin to turn into gear snobs and if it does not cost a lot money than it is not any good. I love my Avatars and own a BX3000T. Amazing sound and easy on the pocket. My associates are amazed when I tell them how much I paid for them.

How many times do we have to say it. Try it for yourself and play what you like. :D

12. The needle on my bull****ometer just went into the red. 1) Old farts can afford better gear than this and 2) they don't buy 150lb cabs to lug around. :p

:)

13. 2kclipsefx

2kclipsefx

Mar 15, 2005
    berhinger - i cant say a thing about them. I have never used them. But legionsound wow what a load of crap. I started out bass w\ a 200 watt yorkville 15' combo. I wish i had kept it. I thought hey i want a stack, that more boomy awesome sound. Sold my combo and bought a hartke 3500. Ok its not the best head but its good enough. I was playing out of a spector q4 so it was a decent bass. I moved up to a LS 15 and 4x10. It left like it was fready to break at any time. Low end? what low end. Its was total mud. The mid and highs sounded like they were being pushed out from a tin can. The screws in the grill rattled out and the grill vibrated like crazy! oh yea, 600 RMS my ass. After maybe 120 watts w\ eq set to 0 on all settings, passive bass, i was clipping. Give me a break. I may not be a pro sound guy, and i have alot to learn. Ive only been playing for about 4 and a half years, but moving up to my ampeg b2r and peavy pro 410 cab was the best thing i could have done. I also play on a sub 4 string music man. My peavy 8 ohm cab is louder, punchier, more in your face CLEAN bass than these 2 legion sound cabs ever could be. Like i said i have alot to learn, but i know quality when i see it adn hear it, and and the cabs i had were no where near quality. The old saying you get what you pay for, may not apply to everything, but in this case, be sure of it. My .02 - Thanks guys

14. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    No kidding. Why get a single 8x10 when the amp can have 3 cabinets hooked up in parallel!

I'm getting a bx3000t from zzounds once they get in stock the b stock. Once I get my email that has been shipped I will get an avatar neo210. In the future when I get better and if I join a band I can add on another cabinet. All in all, less than $400.

I found out about behringer after I ordered. Not like it would have changed anything. All the reviews out there say it is a reliable quality amp that is cheap. I don't have the big bucks to pay for an ashdown.

Avatar does have a bad review on any of their cabinet. Should be a good combo.

If I was worried about company practices I wouldn't be using windows and the VRod wouldn't be my number one "I want" motorcycle :)

15. Check out www.avatarspeakers.com
    Right now they are having a special.
    Buy say an Avatar cab for $279 and you can get an Ashdown 307watt head for $278 shipping free when purchased together.
    There are others on the site.

Gary

16. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    I filled it out for you now, I hope that it makes yor day!

17. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have to walk with a cane, but I'm still tough enough to bull this cab around, too bad your such a weakling! The sound it makes , makes it worth the work!

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Are you aware that Behringer copies other companies designs and then produces them with lower quality components overseas?

19. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have owned 2 Behringer Mixers and a Modeling guitar amp and was not happy with any of them. None were a bass amp, but in general I think they are cheap, cheap, cheap. On the mixers the parts were flimsy, the output was noisy, and the effects sucked. On the guitar amp, it actually sounded really good, but the different effects all changed the overall volume level of the amp in different ways... so it was worthless live.

If that's what you can afford... Then thats fine. I wouldn't expect everyone to start out with expensive gear anyway. But I can't imagine that I would like a Behringer amp better than my Ampeg SVT 400T, which I bought for $240... or my Ampeg PR-212, which I bought for around $200 (I forget exactly)... Also, I bought an Ampeg SVT1540he cab for $300 and built my own compact 2x15 cab for less than $100.

Better gear is available for the same or lower prices.

I know nothing about Legion Sound. But after playing Ampeg... I am not really looking anyway. Even if I was, if I wanted inexpensive I could get Avatar and I already know that they use quality parts and manufacturing.

20. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago

You'll notice there are currently several threads on this forum started and supported by newly registered members (March 2005) that love their Behringer gear. Remember to take a look at a poster's public profile and especially their history of posts to determine for yourself whether to respect a poster's opinion or to discard it as marketing spam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.