Great Music Ruined By Poor Sound Production

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by WillCO, Oct 20, 2005.

1. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Have you ever bought a recording and found that you didn't like it as much as you could have, simply because the sound production was sub-par?

I wonder how mature, well-funded bands manage to release recordings that, even if the songs themselves and the quality of the playing are good, just sound two-dimensional. Are people just afraid to tell them their baby is ugly?

For instance, I was listening to Rush's "Vapor Trails" the other day. Not a bad album, but a seriously murky mix. Level 42's "Staring At The Sun" comes to mind also, and that album pretty much killed them as a commercial act.

Any other examples?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Bitches Brew; combination of many things going on at once with the addition of two seperate bass tracks. It's still good, but I prefer Pangaea or In a Silent Way. For 11 people on a four track, it's pretty good quality.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'd like to think all of my tunes are great songs ruined by me not knowing anything about how to produce. :cool:
  4. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Deerhoof - The Runners Four.
    Great band, but the production is awful, and their bass player has a penchant for using cheap basses. This new release kills the drums and bass pretty thoroughly.
  5. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Miles Davis - 'Get Up With It'. Some of the tracks are appallingly mixed - soupy mixes, guitar solos that you can't hear etc. It does spoil my enjoyment of the music, which is a real shame, as the Miles band of '73-'75 is one of my favourite jazz units.
  6. sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Vapor Trails is a great album - with an horrible production. Crackling clipping and a wall of sound (as opposed to a disc with dynamics) are not anybody's idea of great sound :(

Rush's Exit... Stage Left also has a bad production... the instruments are mixed really sweet, but on the whole it sounds far away and kind of muted... like you are a couple of blocks away from the concert arena :D

Metallica's St. Anger - a deaf chimp with my first sony gear could get a better recording quality. Ringing on the snare drum? How much did you pay for the studio again?
  7. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin

8. Metallica's And justice for all. was Newsted's bass abducted by aliens on that one?

Psychedelic Furs' Book of days. murky reverbed-out bass-light mix.
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Damn, beat me to it..

I like Kyuss... with good production, I'd love Kyuss.
  10. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Samael "Blood Ritual". Not ruined but its pretty muddy, soem of the basswork sounds cool but the mix is very boomy and its hard to really hear much of it.

I'd have to add both original Dissection albums, and pretty much everthing by Emperor. Actually most black metal is ruined by bad production, the only question is how much was actually worth listening to in the first place.
  11. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Thats the thing about black metal, its almost supposed to not be recorded well. When you really get into the genre it seems to add a certain dissonance which is something that would be an "acquired taste".
  12. I hear way too much of that. A little less compression would be wonderful.
  14. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    To a degree. I can appreciate the "raw" feeling of some black metal records, but when its taken to the degree that some bands push it it seems more like they are masking a lack of real writing while aspiring to the ideal of the tr00...which is pretty silly.

I'll take my black metal with enough polish that I can hear all the instruments.
  15. One word- TRESPASS by Genesis. It has some amazing bass playing in it (in my opinion some of the most dynamic lines ever produced) yet it is obscured by crappy production (tin-can style). I would love a quality remaster of that album to be made one day.
  16. Rasmuth

Nov 26, 2004
    Churchville, NY
    I always thought Ozzy's "Blizzard of Oz" was recorded horribly...

the whole tone of the record was just awful.
  17. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Actually, there IS a remastered edition of this album. It's part of their "Definitive Edition Remaster" series. However, it is extremely rare and seemingly only really available in the UK. I've tried to track one down as an import, but only with limited success. You might want to try and find this, if you haven't already.
  18. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Forgive my error. After doing a bit of research, it appears that the remastered edition of "Trespass" is not part of the "Definitive Edition Remaster" series, but some kind of stand-alone remaster. It might still be worth purchasing and comparing, though.
  19. Agreed. Also, Presto is chockers with good songs, but sounds like Rupert Hine deliberately decided to suck all the oomph outta it.