1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

great (new) non-ProToolsy bands??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by HeavyJazz, Oct 17, 2013.

1. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Even though ProTools has been the standard platform for awhile now it seems that the more aggressive rock genres are becoming more and more obvious in their cutting and splicing. Bands of the Gojira or Tesseract ilk I want to like, but the recordings just sound like a machine.

What have you all heard lately in the clever and heavier categories that sound both great and real?

2. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    I had to LOL at the notion of "non-ProToolsy" as a musical genre!

I totally understand what you're asking about, just think it's a sad state that so much music is defined more by how it's constructed rather than how it makes the listener feel.

3. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Reminds me of the death of synth-music in the 80's due to over-sequenced songs. When you loose that human feel people can sense it and get turned off by it. It seems to me to be the audio analogue of the theorem called the Uncanny Valley which refers to robotics or computer animation:

The uncanny valley is a hypothesis in the field of human aesthetics which holds that when human features look and move almost, but not exactly, like natural human beings, it causes a response of revulsion among human observers. ​

[​IMG]

4. I understand you perfectly, I try to stay away from pro-tools due to what you have exactly experienced. Sounds too "machinie".

Maybe I´ll open a cans of worms but I don´t like their mixing engine in comparison to others like Nuendo, Logic....This is just my experience, yours may be diferent.

I just recorded an orquestal and choir album running a Cubase LE at 24bit/96Khz and than passed it to my working computer with Nuendo. Even the Cubase LE mixing engine is better....FOR ME!

5. HeavyJazz

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    As clever as humans think they are, we can't create something bigger than ourselves. The origin can never create a higher reality. Music is no different - we all get a little greedy and see how far we can push it. Hence an abundance of Robot Rock today.

6. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    From my own experience it doesn't really matter how you record or what you record with. Whether you're using the latest software or going all analog what really matters is who's turning the knobs.

edit:

Witchcraft 'Legend'
    Graveyard 'Lights Out'

Two albums on the complete opposite scale in terms of production. But both sound great. (excellent bands too by the way!)

7. So what you are saying here is that you can tell just by listening to a finished product/track that it has been done in pro tools?

8. No, but in comparrison. The same recording with the same processing, I believe I can. Think so....I sure can. Now serious. For me, I accentuate, for me, there are diferences. I wouldn´t use Pro-tools for classical recordings.

9. HeavyJazz

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    When I say "ProTools" I'm referring to all digital editing actually. I just isolated PT in my clever title just to get my point across.

10. They're not "new", but High on Fire keeps releasing great album after great album.

OFF! might fit that bill.

Dinosaur Jr does everything analog. Again, old band with great new albums.

11. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    Vulfpeck is a great newish band that is all recorded live in a room. The videos show the actual recording sessions for what's on the albums. Very analog, almost zero "post" work on any of their material. Check it out. Bassist Joe Dart is insane. Amazing feel. The band leader, Jack Stratton, is fantastic. Really, the whole band in any incarnation (they switch instruments and have different combos at different times), is fantastic. A must.

http://vulfpeck.com/

^Be sure to check out the videos. They are awesome.

12. Red Fang, maybe? Listening to the new one right now. Sounds pretty awesome and not over-processed.