Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Great news for me and new career

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Aug 25, 2005.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well I'm now officially a 4th grade teacher. God help us.

This past spring I entered an intensive program to become a certified teacher. Because the program ended in late summer I found that all the schools had filled their teaching positions. Well, school started and I was sending applications farther and farther away..to places 35 and 40 miles from here. Tuesday though I get a call from the elementary school that's only 3 blocks away from me and they wanted an interview! I got the job today and everyone seemed really excited about me coming on. The people are all really nice and helpful and there's a real team atmosphere. I think it's going to be a great year and so far this job and this school have exceeded my expectations.

The only thing is school has started and I have about 3 days to get a classroom and lesson plans together before I start teaching! Yikes!! I'm specializing in reading and writing but I'll also be teaching my social studies and science to my homeroom. I like science so that's cool.

Some of you know I was working in schools before but I wasn't a teacher. I was doing social work and then I ran a learning program. I feel that it has all been kind of leading to this and I'm really excited. Kids are fun and it's really a privilege to be a part of this education thing. It's a big responsibility though! More than I've ever had so I guess you won't be seeing me here quite as much. Awww...who am I kidding...

Just thought I'd share my excitement and my new career.

brad cook

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Hey, cool. I just started a program to get my elementary teaching license after teaching college (among other things) for a number of years. Congratulations.

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    congrads man... Should be fun:)

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    you should write your signature on the chalk board on the first day of class...

In big letters...

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Brad, i'm very happy for you!!! :)

I know this is a lot to ask, but I think it would teach us alot about what's going on in at least one classroom, but could you blog your first year???? (It doesn't hurt to ask :D )

My sister-in-law is a teacher and she's always telling me stories (they are actually more about the parents :( ).

6. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

I was going to say that too... (well not exactly that but you know)

Brad, good luck... not with kids but crazy parents... you will have easy job dealing with the kids... kids are understanding and smart... but it will be the parents that will drive you crazy...

I am sure from few run ins to some of the parents you will need to vent... TB is perfect place because no one here can actually read so you are safe to say whatever you want.

Now on to finding a English tutor so I can learn English so i can TB better :D

Cheers

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Congrats! With your warped sense of humor ;) , I would've loved having you as my 4th grade teacher! I drove my poor 4th grade teacher, Don Nebeker (I still remember his name, -great guy!) nuts. I was the typical class clown. One day he was chastising me on being a poor example of a Cub Scout. I asked him what did he know about the Cub Scouts. He went on to tell me that he had held every Scouting rank that there was.

I asked him if he'd ever been a Den Mother. :eek:

After the other kids quit laughing it was off to the Principal's Office. -Mr Hinckley, I'll never forget his name, or the bench in front of his office!!! :eek:

Mr Nebeker was awesome; instead of making you write sentences on the chalkboard, he'd have you write out Roman Numerals in a special notebook. I became pretty proficient at writing Roman Numerals.

I'm sure your students will love you!!! :)

-Art

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I think this is what will really do it for Brad once he gets the hang of his class. His humor will make learning fun and I'm sure the kids would just have their little eyeballs glued to Brad....especially after he tells them stories about drinking a few shots with The Qintar. :D

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think I'll just wait until one of the kids starts acting up, then I'll just yell it out as I rip my shirt off.

brad cook

10. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Eye phere fore hour uthe.

Hehe good luck and congrats, man.

11. Congrats Brad :)

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats!:cool:

Maybe you will have the Wild Eagle for one of your students.

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Dude, that deserves a ROFLMAO!

"Hello, i'm Mr. Cook, also known as Brad Cook, and I was wondering if YOU GUYS WANNA GET NUTZ?!"

14. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    This.. this is why I love Talk Bass...

*L*

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats Brad this really is a wonderfull thing. May God Bless you in serving his Children. :)

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    and now for the biggest decision of your life....do I buy a toupee before I start at school....

Congratualtions! :D :hyper:

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Congrats Brad! My daugther is a 4th grader. It is a fun age!

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    No more moochin' off Dr. Wifey's money train, huh? Bum.

19. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Aren't you glad you dont live few blocks from Brad:)

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good work Brad.