Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Great night, but now I have a problem

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kegbarnacle, Oct 19, 2004.

1. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    I really have no idea where to put this question - amps, gig stories, misc, probably a few others.... but

Last night my band had a show at a pretty good bar. Monday isn't such a great night, but the venue is good, so it was a pretty good gig for us. Overall the show went great, but I like to move a bit on stage, and about two bars into our opener, I jumped and my bass cut out. When I looked back at my rig, my cable was hangin' by a thread. The stage is fairly small at this place, and I came down on the cable. I broke the plug off inside the jack of my preamp. I was never more glad I had a pre with seperate inputs for passive and active - I grabbed my spare cable, took a guess at what my level should be and was back in the mix before the pre-chorus.

But now the 1/4" plug is still inside the active input. The inner core of the plug came out very easily, but the outer shell is still in there. I'm guessing that the jack on the preamp itself is enclosed so there probably isn't any good in opening the preamp up. Any ideas on getting that sucker out?

thanks

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Don't ASSUME that its an enclosed jack. Open the case up and take a look - you might be able to reach right into the back of it and remove the piece, or use tweezers.

If its enclosed, you may have to replace the jack itself. Still, not a big deal, a cheap repair.

Either way, get that piece out of there RIGHT AWAY. If it becomes loose and floats around inside your preamp, it might arc something on the circuitboard and fry your entire preamp.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    What cable were you using at the time? I've heard of this happening with Planet Waves cables that have the anti-pullout compression rings.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Needle-nose pliers. Or, get a wood screw that's just a tiny bit bigger than the hole in the center of the plug, carefully thread it in 'til it stops, and pull it out.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I like the wood screw idea.

6. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Go wireless as soon as you can if you like to move around alot.
    we went wireless back in the late 80's after one of the Guitar
    cables got caught on a guitar stand and tipped over the other guitar players Les paul. The head broke off the guitar at the nut, boy was he mad. It was a real Les paul too.I now run
    2 wireless units, one is my main and the other is always on the back-up Bass.

7. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    It was a live wire cable. But given the size of the ol' beer gut, it was gonna break even if it was a solid steel rod.

I'll probably have to go wireless..... maybe I'm crazy but I think a cable just sounds better. Although a broken cable doesn't sound at all.

The wood screw idea is interesting, but I don't know that it would bite into the plug tip that is stuck in there without a lot of pressure, and that might cause even bigger problems. I'm going to open it up and see if it's an enclosed jack, if it is, then i'm going to get a small rod and put just a tiny bit of superglue on the end and try to fuse to the plug tip. After that the only thing I can think of is to replace the jack.

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    You aren't crazy. Even the best wireless units alter the sound of your bass at least a little bit.

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    As do cables ;)

Ray

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Oh please, the impact of a cable on the sound is much less than that of a wireless unit.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    It depends on the quality of each. It's the travel of a signal through a medium. Copper, gold, etc. etc. aren't perfect, nor are they perfect conductors. With my Airline wireless, I can not tell the difference between it vs a cable, and yes, I have tried to, and have done closed eye tests with myself and friends to see if anyone could tell the difference. Depends on the quality of each. Sure, get a cheaper wireless and it'll affect the sound. Get a cheap cable with a loose ground or bad cooper and see the effects as well ;).

Ray