Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Great overdrive pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by E.O.M., Aug 31, 2004.

1. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I have this one project I do with my drummer, and it is very, very bass-focused (as in I take more of a front seat than a supporting role). So, I have room for effects without muddying up all the sonic space. But one of the things I believe in is that effects should not be used to create your sound, they should be used to enhance your sound.

Anyway, with that said, here is what is currently in my pedalbaord:

SABDDI --> Ibanez Phaser --> Boss Bass Chorus --> Ibanez Delay --> MXR m80

I use the Sansamp for its overdrive function, and the MXR for its DI and distortion functions (it's a great little unit). But the point of this thread is that I'm looking for a great overdrive pedal to replace the Sansamp. I love this pedal for recording and playing at church, but for this project (using it as an overdrive pedal) it just gets buried. So I'm looking for a great pedal that can give me mild crunch to full on overdrive without getting buried in the mix (still lots of bass). My budget is about anywhere up to $500 (but can save if worth it).

Any suggestions? I love the overdriven sounds that Chris Squire gets (pretty clean when attacked softly, and gritty when attacked strongly), but I don't like the way Rickenbackers are one trick ponies. I play a Yamaha JPB-1 (John Pattituci signature).

Thanks in advance

ps Another thing I just remembered is that I'm getting a BBE BMax-T in a few weeks. Can that single tube be driven to the effect of what I described above?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    there's LOTS of good overdrive pedals out there, and just about as many opinions as to what's the best :)

A good place to start is the reviews thread at the top of this forum, read that to get a good handle on what's out there and the characteristics and pros/cons of each.

I too use an MXR live, although I don't use the distortion on it at all - I engage the second channel with zero distortion to get the slap friendly eq color applied.