1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great Players but No Spark

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Both Frederico and Yolanda Charles are great, but they don’t mesh so well here, IMO.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  2. Yup - it's not working. And why do so many bass jams get called "funky" when they clearly aren't? No funk in this clip at all.... sometimes great players together...aren't so great (and I love me some Yolanda normally)

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Yikes!!! No musical dialog between those two whatsoever.

But hardly surprising in some respects. I’m usually disappointed with those Master’s gatherings and summits.

The more extraordinary the player the more unique the sound most times. For every Michael League, who seems to be able to mesh with anybody and anything, there’s a small army that sound best when they’re either with their own band or by themselves up on the stage.

Of course even Mike League can meet his match sometimes when he’s on but the people he’s playing with don’t quite cut it. (Advisory: this one gets painful after awhile. Viewer discretion is advised.)

Dr. Cheese and bassbully like this.
  4. In this type of context, I could only imagine me getting excited if it were Billy Sheehan & Geddy Lee.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  6. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I think even a master would have trouble pulling a jam out of their rear on the spot at a sales convention with tags still hanging on the basses. That's a tough spot. I think in that situation they are more trying to showcase the basses themselves, instead being concerned about a performance.

Dr. Cheese and Whousedtoplay like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    99.99999999999999% of YouTube?

Buncha wankery sitting on the bed.

8. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    It's NAMM(!) like some office job.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I am no fan of more than 1 Bassist...those Bass Day jams, IMO, are painful.
    That said, here's a song I have forever loved-
    *3 Bassists*
    Alphonso Johnson plays the groove.
    Louis Johnson & Stanley Clarke trade 4s during the Solo section.

markjazzbassist, NigelD and DWBass like this.
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Honestly, as good as Yolanda is, she doesn't have the facility to jam on a virtuoso level. I thought it seemed awkward as Frederico started to stretch out, she couldn't really keep up. But hey, it was impromptu and you can't really prepare for spots like that. Definitely zero spark.

gebass6 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Agreed. The solo bass thing (or bass led records) is no longer interesting to me. I hate soloing to be honest.

Dr. Cheese and bassbully like this.
  12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I agree just give me a good groovin and bottom heavy band or jam anyday. I will always stand by my opinion that the bass is not a lead instrument.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  13. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Isn't looking for great musical moments at NAMM kind of like looking for good food in a food court? And yeah, bass jams are, to me, only a few rungs up the ladder from bagpipe jams.

bassbully, Dr. Cheese and Snaxster like this.
  14. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    :laugh:

To wit:

Dr. Cheese and bass12 like this.
  15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I hear ye. Back in my Fusion daze...I rarely bought bass-led albums. Stanley's 1st 4 & Jaco's 1st 3...anything else was acoustic players (a bunch of Mingus & Ron Carter albums).
    Will add: John Patitucci's debut was an excellent bass-led album that did not sound like a bass-led album.
    :)

DWBass likes this.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That really sounds personal.:eek:

gebass6 likes this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree I love me some Yolanda, but her gift is the groove, not the solo.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I thought it was ok. Michael League plays with authority, but almost no ego. He is not the kind of musician who will show up a weaker player.

19. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Banned

Looks like you received confirmation of your assessment so I'll just trust you all on this video. Now, can you post each YouTube bass video that sucks? However, it might be a more fruitful (and shorter) project if you just post the ones worth watching. We trust your judgment. Thanks in advance.

gebass6 likes this.
  20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have a whole channel worth of mediocre videos that you are welcome to dissect.
    Two musicians not connecting does not mean that they aren’t great at what they do. NAMM presents a lot of “blind date” situations, and blind dates have been known to go off the rails.