great 'plug & play' amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthias, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    In the past years I've always been looking for versatile amps with a lot of tone controls: 10 band EQ, parametric EQ, preset switches, contour knobs - you name it...
    BUT: I'm a little tired of tweaking my sound and always being uncertain, if there is not a setting which is still a little bit better. Also on many occasions, there is not much time to fiddle with all those knobs. I think most of you know what I mean.
    So maybe it's time for a new approach:
    Looking for an amp with just some basic controls which simply sounds good.
    Maybe like this one (don't know if it actually sounds good, but it looks like if it would ;))
    Any input?
    What's your favourite 'plug & play' amp?

Thanks, Matthias

PS: Yes I could switch off the EQ of my amp. But then I would always have to think if it wouldn't even sound better if I tweaked a little here and a little there. Crazy? Maybe.
  2. EBS Fafner. The dead-flat setting is fabulous.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    my demeter preamp.

usually i leave everything flat and only fiddle with the presense, bright, and deep switches. simply sublime. :D
  4. That is one fabulous amp.

I'd love one.

Used a Graphic 120 in the '70s, BTW. Stupendous.

What more can I say.

I'm gona cry cos it's not mine :(

5. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Trace Elliot V-type series. Five knobs: Gain, bass, mids, trebel, and master. Nothing more needed.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
  7. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Same here Trace V4. I do goose the mids with fretless if its a big/loud band.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Amplified Music Products (AMP) BH-420. One less thing to worry about.
  9. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Alembic F2-B

Bright Switch
    Two Inputs - one attenuated & one not.
    Two Channels - great for stereo chorusing.

Great for the simpleton like myself..
  10. I've seen some V-series Ampegs on Ebay (the V9 comes to mind), which have volume, bass and high controls. Is that simple enough?
  11. I have a Carvin R1000 and was forever trying different EQ settings on it.I bought a Sans Amp Bass Driver to use for a direct box a couple years ago and was suprised when I tried it through my head for the first time.I set all the EQ on the Carvin to flat and set the BDDI to the SVT setting.
    This was the tone I had been looking for.No more endless tone fiddling,just one good tone that sounds good every time.I've got the rackmount type now.the RBI,so it and the BDDI and any good power amp get my vote.
  12. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Aguilar DB 750 seems like it fits the description.
  13. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
  14. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
  15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    what's the SVT setting?
  16. 70's SVT. Ultra LO in, mids boosted to taste. Turn it on and crank it. That's all.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden WT-300, set 1,000% flat.
  18. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah, nearly texas flat... ;)
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's another great choice IMO. I have one.
  20. In the manuals for the Bass driver and the RBI it shows the settings like SVT,Bassman,fat tube and Kings X for examples to start with.The RBI setting is Drive(10 o clock)Presence(3 o clock)Blend(5 oclock)Bass(1 o clock)Mid(10 o clock)Treble(2 o clock) for SVT.I start with this and vary to taste.