Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

great portable basscombos?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by endmelody, Aug 5, 2001.

1. endmelody

endmelody

Dec 25, 1999
    I'm currently looking for a more "back-friendly" alternative to my SWR SM400-GoliathIII rig.

I'm interested in getting a greatsounding combo for use in all venues. It has to be powerful enough to deliver in smaller clubs and maybe have a tiltback-function for monitoring at larger gigs with P.A.

I'm sure many of u guys have a lot of experience with what's required in different settings. And currently I don't play in any heavy-metal bands... :)
    Any ideas ?

Endre

(PS:I've heard a little 'bout Euphonic iAmp, Gallien-krueger MB150S112, Eden NC-210P, SWR Workingman's 12, EBS Drome 12... are these any good?)

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Welcome to the board, I like the Ampeg 100r and would have one if I didnt own a Hartke 1415 both of these are in a lower price bracket to the ones mentioned (except SWR WM 12 for pedantic posters) and have no experience with them.

However your post goes back up the top and someone else should answer

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Ive just noticed you have registered in Dec99 and have made 1 post. What happened? Did you get lost? Are you the ultimate lurker? Dont worry about saying something stupid we are experts.

4. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Im VERY happy with my Ampeg BA-115.Plenty loud for 100 watts has the tiltback design for monitor use and XLR out for PA.Weighs around 60 lbs which isnt to bad for luggin around.Only cost 350 locally brand new.IMHO theres nothing better anywhere near that price.

5. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    ebs drome www.r2musical.com

gallien 700rb or 1001rb 2x10 combo

swr redhead

eden metro

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I used to think that a combo would be the ultimate for portability, but I changed my mind over the years and now I consider I have the ultimate "small gig" rig for portability andsound!

I use an Eden WT300 head which weighs about 13lbs and fits inside a small rucksack; along with a Euphonic Audio VL208, which is very small, but extremely powerful, especially in the low range.

http://www.overwater.co.uk/euphonic/producthtml/208.htm

So with the Eden head in a rucksack on my back weighing next to nothing with the necessary cables included and the EA Cab weighing much less than any combo, I am convinced that this is the ultimate portable rig - and given that I have had back problems, this has been a lifelong ambition, to which I am dedicated in terms of "pain-avoidance"!

7. I have an Ampeg B100R, and i´m really happy with it. It´s very versatile, great sound and it´s an Ampeg :)

This certainly is a more "back-friendly" alternative for your rig.

I´ve played with it in a small venue, and the 100w was enough.

It don´t have a tiltback function although.

IMO it´s a great choice

8. Carvin R600 2x10 combo.

It's roughly twice the power and half the price of comparable amps, and not too big, has tilt back.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Well I still think the separate cab option with an EA cab - mine is 48lbs and does have tiltback - is the most portable and "back-friendly" solution I have found.

The Ampeg combos I have tried feel much heavier (60lb was mentioned above) and have nothing like the power.

10. endmelody

endmelody

Dec 25, 1999
    Thanks for all good advice! I'm gonna look into the eden/euphonic-solution and check some prizes... Still though; I'm also thinking size, not only weight. Have any of u tried the gallien-krueger 150w wich only weighs 11kgs!? Does the EBS drome have a tiltback-function?

To CS: I know... I check in from time to time and usually find interesting posts. The reason though, why I haven't made any posts is probably because I'm kinda' afraid of saing something stupid... :)

Endre

11. Deja Vu EndMelody, I myself use a SM400s / goliath III rig. About six months ago I went searching for a combo to use as a back-up and smaller venue amp.
    I can say I tried many 2-10 & 115 combos that were at least 200watts (personnally don't think I could gig with less) anyway my search resulted in thinking alot like Bruce. I'm quite sure that I will never buy a combo. Instead I purchased a Bagend S15-D (44lbs) along with an ampeg B2r . In terms of portability, flexability,tone , volume and anything else you look for in a combo I never found one that could match this little head/cab rig at least not for under $775.00

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    ever tried the Nemesis line from eden? I thought 200 watts wouldn't be enough for me.. and of course I thought nemesis was just a cheap knock-off series of amps.. but since I am a college student (actually at the time I was still in high school i think...) I had to search for something in my price range. I tried the NC 210 combo and it sounded really really good.. I was totally surprised... I loved it.. So I bought it. I am going to add an ext. cab soon. probably a 4x10 so I can one day slap a head on the 4x10... just a suggestion.. peaceout

13. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    Maybe you should try out an Eden Metro 2x10 combo, if price isn't much of an issue, that is ;). I'm sure you know the quality of eden amps, so of course the combo's aren't that cheap, but the sound is awesome and they don't weigh too much at all... even better w/ the casters! Plus, you can alwatys hook up a second cab and get plenty of volume :) Just a suggestion.

-FSR

14. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i've played a gallien krueger mb150 (the all-aluminum one that weighs around 26 lbs.). it sounds great (although i wish it had a horn). you can get an extension cab to match it (all-aluminum, 12" woofer), and even a shoulder-bag to carry it in.

as far as volume goes, the thing will play suprisingly loud. i probably wouldn't go up against distorted guitars with it (even with the extension cab), but for folk, light rock, jazz, or something else along those lines, i think it would fit the bill. it's definitely the lightest combo i know of (short of a 10w practice amp or something).

incidentally, i believe the power rating is like 90-100 watts, but jumps to 150 with the extension cab. definitely look into it.

oh, mike gordon (of phish) uses one. in fact, i believe i saw it miked for their live show (even though he has a 4x10, two 18's, and two 15's with horns on stage!). although he might just be using it as a monitor for trey (guitar), i dunno.

15. I gotta say that I love my 2 Polytone MiniBrute III s. They mic up well and I run them in stereo or one dry one with efx. Sure they are old school and unfashionable, but them I am old school and ....

16. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I've got a WT300 and a Bag End S15-D. Two small packages easily transported and they sound great together.

17. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, saying something stupid hasn't slowed down the rest of us, so you needn't worry. ;)
    - Mike

18. Bruce Lindfield

78 lbs and very bulky!!!

I've tried them and they are not what you want with a bad back! :(

I'll stick with my 48lb cab thank you.

19. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The Acoustic Image Clarus amp is 300 watts and weighs 5 pounds. Couple that with a Bag End S-15D or a small EA cab and you can easily carry everything in one trip without breaking a sweat.

IMO combos such as the Eden Metro, SWR Super RedHead, and Carvin RC210 are not the way to go if you want to save your back. While they're a lot more portable than say an Ampeg SVT II and a 4x10, they are still a good 75 or 80 pounds. Last year in college when I took my Carvin RC210 places I took the head out and carried the cab and head separately becuase it was just too much trouble to carry the whole thing in one trip.

20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    An SM-400 is already small and light (at least compared to old school heads like an SVT), I'd also suggest you just get a smaller cabinet.

Look at the Bag End 12 or 15, Epifani or Bergantino 12, maybe one of the EA boxes (of these, only the EA has a tilt back feature).

Advantage of this is you still have plenty of power and volume compared to a 100 watt combo, you keep all the nice features of the SWR head and it's cheaper (unless you choose a really pricey cab over a really cheap combo).