1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great Purchase/Luthier Experience Wanted To Share

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Hqubed, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Hqubed

Hqubed Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    For those whom might be interested, or in a similar situation, I just wanted to share my recent experience in searching for and purchasing a DB for my 12 yo son whom is just beginning to play.

Given his interest level, and trying to use this as a learning experience in responsibility, we decided to purchase a DB vs. rent in order to make the instrument his own. The challenge however was we needed ½ size which will only be good for a couple of years when, assuming he continues, he will need a ¾. After a lot of research, advise from this board, almost buying a couple of different DB’s, and conversations with various people we decided that a Shen would be his best 1st Bass for playability and resale value. Now try and find a ½ size, and I learned from this board that the maker/model would be of little difference if the DB is not set up properly.

I really did not want to purchase “show room” new for a beginning 12 yo, but rather use this as a learning experience such that he can work toward a new ¾. I searched without success for a reasonably priced, quality ½ size DB with little success, and no Shen. I really wanted to provide our son with an opportunity to play so was looking for more instrument than the $399 internet find, but struggled with paying $1500 - $2000 for a beginners first DB.

In my search I came across references for Michelle Fiore of ContraBass in Wheeling, IL. As I was going to be in Chicago on business I contacted Michelle and shared with her what I was looking for. To my surprise she phoned me the next day saying she had an rental SB100, which she would set up and sell reasonably priced (not the cheapest DB I found by far, but very fair).

My son could not be more proud of his “new” Shen. Yes it has a few scratches and shows signs of having been a rental, Michelle told me of this before I went to her shop. However it is his and his responsibility. After his instructor picked up the Bass she could not stop talking about how easy it is to play and how nice it sounds, Thank you Michelle for the quality set up.

Should you have a need for a Luthier, or in the market for a bass I can recommend Michelle and might suggest you drop her a line. In my experience she treated us fairly, and represented herself honestly and with integrity. Thank you Michelle!

2. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    Thanks for sharing your good news story!

3. That's great -reminds me of my experience with Nick Lloyd

4. Hqubed

Hqubed Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    I spoke to Nick in my search, he spent a great deal of time with me and was one of the resources whom advised that I look for a Shen and go used. At the time I needed the DB he did not have a preowned 1/2, nor did he know of one available. My son and I have made plans to meet him, and from my conversations with Nick I would agree he is a quality person.

5. Yeah, he truly is a great guy. Spent a good bit of time and disclosed some damage on a bass before we bought it (rather minor that most people wouldnt mention) and we were able to order a new instrument (a Shen SB180) and his setup is fantastic.