Great R&B Sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hippobottamus, May 20, 2004.

1. Hippobottamus

Jun 24, 2003
    Hey, I’m hoping a few of you could help me out. I’ve been listening to a lot of R&B lately esp. D’Angelo’s “Voodoo” (a classic modern r&b album) and was wondering if anyone has had experience getting that really compressed, horn like mid’s sound with lots of dynamics and how you've achieved it? Generally is it your bass, compressor, your rig? I play a G&L L-2500 through an Acme B-2 and Carvin R600. I realize being an experienced bass player makes the greatest difference but I’d like to start down that path with some good advice. Thanks.
  2. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    If not mistaken Pino palladino recorded those bass tracks, and he goes P-bass strung with flatwounds I think.
  3. Hippobottamus

Jun 24, 2003
    Yeah you right, he plays the majority of the album. Just makes the piont that it's the musician more then equip. If you listen to trk. 1 "playa playa" he's either playing on the D or G string for upper octave accents, usually when I do stuff like that my bass sound more guitar like then round & horn sounding. I'll google him and see if I can find info about his technique and gear. Thanks!
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The other thing to note is Pino Pallidino tunes below standard pitch. I really wouldn't worry about equipment. I would just turn down the tone or treble on your bass and avoid letting your nails hit the strings. You also play closer to the neck and you should be able get the fundamental aspects of the sound you're after.
  5. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Try flats, if you don't want to invest a ton of money in them Fenders are decent and cheap, will give you a good idea of the sound.
  6. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Is his action low or high? I know that Jamerson had high action and that effected the sound and I think reduced the sustain.
  7. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    theres a ton of stuff you could try to get that feel, flatwounds are one, you could also try and pluck strings on the beggining of the fingerboard area, that definitly gives you a smoother sound, if you read bass player I think he was cover in the April issue, they should really get into all his mambo-jambo. :D