1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great Reason to Use Elixirs

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Craig_S, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I thought I'd mention it, as I really looked at the frets on my SR5 today. This bass has had nothing but Elixirs on it since 2005, when I bought it. Here's the thing: There is no noticeable fret wear. Absolutely NONE! Unbelievable! :hyper: I don't squeeze the life out of the neck, when I play, but I do use vibrato. :) :) :) I was expecting to see some worn in spots.

Gotta love that!

2. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008
    Good to know. I use the coater DR's (Black Beauties and Red Devils) on my '08 P-Bass and '07 Jaguar. Hopefully I can look forward to the same results.

3. Elixirs sound too..."plastical" to me...

4. exilirs sound like they were touched by the hand of god. if i was ever looking for endorsements, id go to them first. ive been playing their strings exclusively for about 5 years.

5. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    First time I have ever heard that. Elixirs sound amazing, to me. There's a sweet smoothness even when they're fresh. There is still plenty of crispness when you're looking for it. They're a little expensive, but I think they're worth the extra cost. I couldn't believe there was no fret wear. :smug:

6. nella

nella Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I like them as well and discovered them quite by accident - a bass I bought off the TB classifieds arrived with a new set on.

7. I've got some D'Addario half-rounds on mine for now, but after they start going flat, I'm going for some Elixirs. I had them on the Grabber I was borrowing and they were great. The Smiths I had on there before went dead in no time, but the Elixirs were still in great shape when I handed the bass back last month.

8. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area
    Since they sound like they're already worn out, if you have to replace a broken string with a used one on a gig , you'll never hear any difference.

bob

9. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    They don't sound like they're worn out. Where'd you get that idea?? They sound fresh and snappy forever.

10. I like 'em too, Them & D'addario coateds are my fave coateds!!