1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great slap tone for < 1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dideah, May 23, 2011.

1. dideah

dideah

May 16, 2011
    Im looking for a bass with a nice slap tone and an ease to play i have a fender p and i like that kinda neck i tried a j and it dosny fit me although i like the sound.Ive been looking at Afew basses if u want to give your own opinions or new suggestions .
    G&L l2000
    Status series 1000
    I like Spector euro but can't find a used for less then 1k
    So far these are my decision makers . Any suggests ? I like to play funk and rock only and im not to keen about a ray for some odd reason .

2. BassPenguin22

BassPenguin22

Jun 5, 2010
    Heard good things about the "Flea Bass", i think theyre pretty cheap

3. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    Spector Euros have a great slap tone. I find them very easy to play. The necks are wider then a J bass. They show up in the for sale section of this forum and on Ebay sometimes under $1K. I just purchased one last week for $900. I now own 2 of them.
    Also check the used gear section at Guitarcenter.com I have seen some on there last month for $799. I strongly recommend a Spector Euro. Have you played one yet?

4. I love my G&L L2000 Tribute. Great slap tone, and lots of tone shaping capability.

5. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    If you have the patience to find a decent deal on fleeBay, go for a 1980's original G & L L-1000, with the "OMG" switch...

6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Gotta figure out the aversion to StingRays. They have a killer slap tone, sound great with pick and finger style, have more or less a P shape neck, are built for the long haul, have a headstock that won't injure bandmates, and can easily be found used for under a grand.

7. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    USA Peavey Cirrus(.)

8. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Used Fender Marcus Miller.

9. dideah

dideah

May 16, 2011
    Nope I havent which series should I get ? ( 4 string )

10. dideah

dideah

May 16, 2011
    Over my budget ?

11. dideah

dideah

May 16, 2011
    Haha that's exactly what I want for some reason I feel like I wont fall in love with it . :/

12. Have you tried the Stingray?
    I was not keen at first, based on image, looks, body size... but I then had an opportunity to use one and I changed my mind entirely.

13. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    You have an insane selection of great slap tones available on the used marked with that budget. I personally love the classic fat J-bass slap tone and I'm also in the very small minority of people who don't get why stingrays are regarded to have a good slap tone (and I've owned and loved a ray for fingerstyle)

Fender J's: MIA standard, Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller..
    G&L's.
    Lakland Skyline 44-02
    USA Peavey cirrus
    USA Peavey millennium
    Spector euros
    Warwicks
    Yamahas
    Sandbergs (not sure on the US pricing though)
    MTD kingstons

And the list goes on. Go out there and experiment.

14. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I love my SR 370 for slap. My G and L 2000 tribute has excellent slap tone, but I prefer the slimmer neck on my Ibanez. I would suggest look at the SR 500 damn fine bass for the money

15. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Try an Ibanez ATK. You might like it. A lot...

16. Von Kunsenheim

Von Kunsenheim

Aug 12, 2010
    Chicago
    I have a stingray 5 single humbucker and love the slap tone. Got it for $950 with hard shell case shipped.

17. magic2119

magic2119

Dec 14, 2009
    Burlington, IA
    I'll give a +1 for a stingray. Get a H or HH configuration (with the HH you can just turn the neck pickup off). The slap/pop tone is phenominal compared to all of the other basses I have played. You can get them on here used for under $1k. I've seen them as low as $750-800.

I also have a G&L 2500 tribute. I did manage to get a decent slap tone out of it, but no where near as full sounding as the Stingray.

Hope that helps

18. buy a Jazz bass, put your P neck on it, problem solved.

Either that or the EBMM - has GREAT slap tone, lasts a while, and can be found used for under a grand.

19. dece

dece That would be me Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Peavey Cirrus

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Frankly, finding a bass with a great slap tone for under a grand is one of the easier things you do when it comes to bass shopping. Looking at the basses you have chosen, it seems that you like a modern/soapbar slap tone. You might consider older Yamahas like TRBs, you can also look for used Prestige Series Ibanezes.