1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Great slapping bass without breaking the bank

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NJ_ratm, Jan 4, 2012.

1. NJ_ratm

NJ_ratm

Jun 15, 2008
    Brighton, UK
    I'm looking to get a great new bass for slapping (hard funk / rock kinda music) I've been looking at Warwicks for a long time, like the Streamer LX, but they go for about £850 second hand and £1400 new. Does anyone know of a decent bass for slap that I can get for perhpas £700 second hand, £1000 new. I've seen a twice owened Custom Siggery with active seymour duncan pickups for £750 but I'm not sure if its the bass I want for this kind of playing style. Any thoughts?

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Use anything at all that you feel comfortable with.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Any bass can be slapped, and most will sound decent with a proper setup. Your best bet is to go to a shop a test a bunch out and see what you like.

4. NJ_ratm

NJ_ratm

Jun 15, 2008
    Brighton, UK
    Thanks guys. I'm currently stuck with an Ibanez SR300 which is a cheap bass. I can slap it and it sounds ok, but its not the clear but meaty sound that I want, more of a high pitched and empty twang. Didnt know if there were any major preferences out there in terms of wood, strings, pickups etc

EDIT: Discount strings from that :)

5. Ibanez SR 500's are decent for a modern slap tone or a Squier VM Jazz for a more traditional slap tone.

6. NJ_ratm

NJ_ratm

Jun 15, 2008
    Brighton, UK
    yeah, I watched a video of an SR1200, they go for about 800 new which is my price range. Nice sound but cant help but think its still Ibanez. I know warwick are more up there in terms of quality and sound, shame they're so expensive.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Sterling by MM. Ibanez ATK. And there are lots of Warwicks that can be found used in your pricerange. And while technically all basses can be slapped, some make it much, much easier and more fun.

8. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    The Ibanez SR1200 is a pro caliber bass. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if the sound is what you're looking for.

9. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Jazz bass? Stingray/Sterling? Warwick? Buying used for £700 the world's your oyster basically. You only really need to spend more than that if you decide you want a Sadowsky / Lakland / other 'Jazz with a prestige badge on the end'.

10. NJ_ratm

NJ_ratm

Jun 15, 2008
    Brighton, UK
    Sr1200 is £855 in my local shop, brand new. Its tempting, and I'm used to using Ibanez, well, the SR family at least. Never tried a Sterling. Any thoughts on Musicman's?

EDIT: *other Musicmans* (aside from Sterling)

11. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    If you're heading for that funk/rock slap style and sound a la 'Flea', a used Stingray/Sterling would do you just fine. If you want to buy new, there is a licensed lower end range called 'Sterling by Music Man' - akin to Squier or Epiphone.

However, I would also add that personally, I wouldn't base my purchasing on one playing style, although, all the above recommendations are all versatile enough to play traditionally too.

12. NJ_ratm

NJ_ratm

Jun 15, 2008
    Brighton, UK
    Good point, I do play a lot of slap and record a lot of slap but I also enjoy playing a lot of blues and traditional fingerstyle funk. I was kind of assuming that If I could get a decent slap sound out of a bass then I should be able to get a nice funky fingerstyle sound too. But I suppose this may not always be the case.....

13. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Squier VM Jazz with an Audere JZ3 installed, DR Fat Beams, and a Behringer BDI21. Pair that with a good quality amp head (or combo). I have this setup with paired with my TC BH500 head and I can get the Marcus Miller tone all day long. Nice fat lows and crisp tight highs all at the same time. It really is the sum of all the ingredients as it took me a while to discover the right combination. I am in slap tone heaven now. Also with the Audere you can dial in a great fingerstyle tone as well so this setup is definitely not a one trick pony.

Also, as an honorable mention let me sing the praises of my Dean Q4 Bartolini. I likewise strung it up with some Fat Beams and it also gets a mean slap tone it sounds more Hi Fi though kind of similar to my Cirrus. These can be had for real cheap (got mine for $139) and with a good setup have a neck to die for. I'm considering putting a quality pre-amp in mine as several TB'ers have said that this really brings these basses to life.

Anyway, That is what I've found that works for me play lots of basses and figure out what works for you, and don't discount having a good amp. My TC amp has a "Tweeter Tone" control, tube emulation, EQ contour, 3 memory settings, and a built in multi-band compression. The memory settings are particularly helpful in that once you have tweaked all the knobs to find that perfect EQ setting you press and hold a memory button to store your setting. I have one setting for Slap, another for a punchy but still bright sound, and yet another for Classic P-Bass style thump. One button push and I'm in the ball park quickly.

Anyway, hope this helps you should lots of good advice here, especially from others who are far more knowledgeable on this then me. Good luck!

14. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Just refrain from buying a semi hollow bass & you'll be fine with just about anything with a solid body. The problem with slapping isn't the make or cost of the bass, it's getting paid to do it at a gig that's difficult.

15. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Don't spend 855 quid on an Ibanez. That is highway robbery. I have a jazz and two Ernie Ball Sterlings. If you like a slim neck, the Sterling may fit the bill. They beg to be slapped with how their pickup is positioned. Just my .02

16. NJ_ratm

NJ_ratm

Jun 15, 2008
    Brighton, UK
    Wow, thanks guys. In terms of ampage I have a Hartke 3500 which is a beast, had it for years and is a delight in terms of tone (imo). Just need something fat and funky to put through it now. Had two Ibanez basses in the past and was looking to move on so I may not go for the SR1200, especially if you think its a "highway robbery" bassgod76. Jazz basses have never really appealed to me and Im not sure why. Its looking like im swaying more towards a Sterling now, (altho will never disclude the warwick streamer LX)
    One question about Sterlings tho. With only one pickup do you lose out on some tone selection? With my Ibenez SR300 I tend to record a slap line and then jam some lead bass over the top with the bridge pickup fully selected and the mid right down and I get quite a nice plucky clean guitar sound on the higher notes, almost banjo like, its not a tone I use often but also something I dont want to lose. Whats the versitility of the Sterling like?? Should have mentioned this before perhaps.

17. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Well, with a multi pickup bass, you have more tone selections. Ernie Ball has catered to those wanting more booty, by adding a neck pickup option.

I have two Sterlings, because I loved my first one so much. In fact, I sold a Fender MIA Jazz Bass Deluxe to finance my second Sterling.

Everyone's taste is different. Some feel that Ernie Balls are too zingy.

I have never found a situation that my EB's couldn't handle. Yes, the pickup is closer to the bridge than most basses, but the large humbucker (that can be split with a flick of the pickup selector switch) allows the user to deliver a thumpy tone.

I think the Stingray is a tad warmer due to it's alinco pickup. However, it has a beefier neck.
    My thing is, if you're going to spend some serious dough, don't buy an Ibanez. I loved my Ibanez, but I only paid $200 USD for it.

18. NJ_ratm

NJ_ratm

Jun 15, 2008
    Brighton, UK
    Thats a very good point bassgod. I have a £300 Ibanez and I can't really complain about the quality and tone for the money I spent. I definitely need something a bit meatier and more professionally constructed for my level of playing but I'm probabaly going to hang on to my SR, I'll only get £120 or so if I sell it any way.

19. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Instead of replacing your Ibanez, why don't you throw some new pickups in it?
    This was my old SR300:
    Ibanez1.

After completely pimping it with new electronics and hardware, it was quite a badass bass.
    Ibanez1-3.
    Ibanez3-2.

20. sort of OT, but does anyone here remember the 80's era Carruthers basses (I think P bass) that were set up for that classic slap sound? Anybody remember how he did it?