Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Great Solos/Concertos?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by KYJazzy, Mar 28, 2005.

1. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Hey guys,

first time posting over here on the Double Bass side. I'm doing a project for a symphonic music class I'm taking on the double bass and how cool it is. :hyper:

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good double bass solos or concertos that they could point me toward? I'd really appreciate it!

Also, its not limited to classical stuff. a double bass Jazz solo would work good too! Thanks.

2. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Anyone..?

3. If you're into both jazz and classical, there's Frank Proto's "Sonata 1963," which blends element of both disciplines and is kind of a cool and, I think, popular piece with young bassists.

Otherwise, there's a whole slew of works written expressly for the double bass or adaptations from other instrumentations. A popular one now is Bottesini's 2nd Concerto, which was recorded fairly recently by Edgar Meyer and the St. Paul Chamber Orch. Other composers that spring immediately to mind are Dragonetti, Koussevitsky and Capuzzi.

Go to lemurmusic or Shar and request a print catalog for a comprehensive listing.

4. Take a look at other threads on this forum,there is a lot of informations.

Just to name some of my favourites :
    - Bozo Paradzik : "Der Kontrabass : Elefant oder Schwann ?" (classical recital,db & piano)
    - Renaud Garcia-Fons : "Oriental Bass" , "Fuera", "Alborea" (world music-jazz)
    - Robert Black : "State of the bass" (modern, various kinds of basses, electronics)

Edgar Meyer has an amazing record with piano and there is the DVD
    "Appalachian Journey" feat. Edgar, Yo-yo Ma and Mark O'Connor.

L'Orchestre de contrebasses : "Bass, bass, bass, bass, bass & bass"

etcetc....

5. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    I forget the bassist, but there is a recording of the Tubin Bass Cto which is a straight-up good piece of music.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It must be hard for young DB players in the classical area - I often browse through music shops in London and there seems to be very little material for DB - specially compared to the vast amount of stuff for other instruments...:meh:

I attend classical concerts when I can and especially like going to the proms at the Albert Hall - I always buy the catalogue of events each year - about 60 - 70 concerts - but I've never seen a Double Bass concerto advertised ....:( I've seen many others - including Tuba, Trombone, Harp, etc. etc.

The only thing I've seen was a piece written by the British Composer, Mark Anthony Turnage for Dave Holland - which is like a Jazz DB Concerto - for Jazz soloist and small orchestra/electric band (C. Miles electric period) - called Bass Inventions - nice piece of music, although I haven't seen a recording yet...?

A Review here :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/critic/review/0,1169,745094,00.html

7. I saw Koussevitzky 3 times, Nino Rota once, Proto once (played by Rabbath). This in various parts of the world in a period of 15 years, it is really VERY LITTLE.

Question : why almost nobody plays Vanhal, Bottesini, Nino Rota ?
    It's just excellent music. As Bruce points, other instruments appear more. Maybe I saw more concertos for bassoon.

8. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    My personal favorites:

Furtok - Bottesini Concertos No.1, No.2, Passione Amorose
    Nwanoku - Dittersdorf Concertos No.1, No.2 Vanhal Concerto
    Bassiona Amorosa - Live In Der Konzertkirche Neubrandenburg
    Bjorn Lanke - The Contempory Double Bass Vol.3
    Georg Hörtnagel - Dittersdorf Sinfonia Concertante
    Ivan Sztankov - Double Bass Parade

There's probably more favorites that I'm forgetting.

9. The Tubin concerto was recorded by Hakan Ehren (BIS records).

10. thought id resuscitate this thread as i am new to the db and want to really absorb as many different interpretations of the instrument as i can. i like the idea of bass duets, or any other small group performing unique compositions where the bass plays a major role. modern jazz quartet 'blues on bach' is a good example. a jazz combo interpreting classical music. anything else?

11. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    If I were allowed to take only one bass concerto CD to the desert island, it probably would be this one, which includes (probably) the most often played bass concerti, rendered beautifully by Gary Karr:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...1/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/002-9960239-6968068

Of course, I'm hoping I would also be allowed to take my CD of Edgar Meyer playing three of the Bach suites for unaccompanied cello.