Great songs to cover

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheFrizzleFry, Jul 23, 2001.

1. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Alright, my friend and I are headed off to college where we plan to start a band. And of course, as a college band, we have to do some covers (we have original stuff we are working out too). But we both seem kinda stuck for ideas. I know when we get additional members, we will know our range a bit better, but here's what songs we plan on covering so far, so you know our current range...

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
    Blind Melon - No Rain
    Nirvana - Smells like Teen Spirit
    Faith No More - We Care a Lot
    Taco - Putting on the Ritz

We have a few more, but this shows our range is all over the place, even a bit goofy w/Taco. We are gonna have to get in some of The Cult (his fav band) and some of Primus (my favorite band), the tough part, finding some Primus I can handle playing all the way through, not just the main riff like I usually do. I'm getting off the subject. Basically, what I wanna know is, what are some awesome songs to cover? Just throw up some ideas of songs you think we'd get into. They don't exactly NEED to be bass heavy (then again, I wouldn't complain) I don't mind hiding in the background. So yeah, cool covers?
  2. I've been playing in cover bands for about 15 years now and played the same songs in many of them.

Just recently my current band picked up a new guitar player/singer from Dublin, Ireland and he suggested the song "Jailbreak" by Thin Lizzy.

It's fun to play and not covered very often. It also has a great bridge/solo section that is a lot of fun. Check it out.
  3. If you're in for sweet basslines.. try these

Muse - Muscle museum
    Muse - Fillip
    Muse - new born
    Muse - Hypermusic ( sweetest bassline ever imho )
    Muse - Plug-in baby
  4. Oh come on CLASSICS! ummm, Deep Purple Black Night.

Down on the Corner- Creedence Clear Water Revival
    Werewolves of London- Warren Zevon

Lucille-great 12 bar blues i mean c'mon!

Another One Bites the Dust- Queen :rolleyes:

Crazy Little Thing Called Love-Queen, now that is a nuts classic!

Killing in the Name- RATM (depends how heavy you want to go)

5. A couple that ii'm playing a lot at the moment are "my generation" by The Who/Green day, although damn simple, it has a really nice bass solo. The other one I like is "My Poor Brain" by Foo Fighters, very nice, really happy song which gets quite heavy in the choruses. Thats all I can think of at the mo, but if any more cross my mind, i'll post a message.
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    If you're gonna be playing at parties in college you're probably gonna want to play songs with a nice beat that people can dance to. And if you're anywhere south of the Mason Dixon line Sweet Home Alabama and Free Bird are required selections. A couple of other songs to play:

White Cherry - Play That Funky Music
    Commodores - Brickhouse

And for some reason everyone loves it when you play Prince songs.
  7. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    A couple of Primus songs that aren't too hard to get all the way through are Mr. Krinkle and the Pressman - pretty simple main riffs, and no solo interludes, yet catchy and very identifiable as Primus. Their cover of Tippi Toes (off Miscellanous Debris) is pretty simple too, but that'd be a cover of a cover, and may be prohibited by local and/or state law.

8. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Thanks guys, some great suggestions so far. About Killing in the Name Of, we actually do wanna do some Rage, but we can't rap, I think we are far too white. Plus I'm sure if we were playing at a family friendly place they'd really appreciate "**** YOU I WON'T DO WHATCHA TELL ME!" hehe.
  9. Friz, you have a good selection there man.
    Going by personal experience, heres a couple you could add that the audience will always love and get into:
    Another Brick In The Wall pt2 - Pink Floyd
    Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
    Roadhouse Blues - The Doors
    Break On Through - The Doors
    Riders On The Storm - The Doors
    Come As You Are - Nirvana
    Creep - Radiohead
    All Along The Watchtower - Hendrix version
    Knocking On Heavens Door - Dylan

The audience, without fail, always loves those songs, and usually sing along.
    Just stay well clear of covers of bands such as The Beatles, Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, etc and anything from the fifties, those songs have been covered soooo many times that they have absolutely no impact.
  10. True but it'd be good for those college parties. Plus you wouldn't have to do it all, just start it and if people get off on it then it doesn't really matter how you sing it. I'd be inclined to start the main riff then stop it and go "nup! i just can't do it!" and start the next song. Always good to muck around.

11. Nobody mentioned Louie Louie? Man, you're going to college!
  12. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Twist and Shout, and Happy Birthday to you.
  13. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i'm gonna have to second lucile (oh yea, funkay) and knocking down some freak's door, i mean "knocking on heaven's door." or "checkin' into betty ford." All along the watchtower is pretty cool (dylan version.)
  14. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Well since you're in a college band you're going to want to impress the girls... the songs to cover are
    -tearing up my heart by the N-street Sync boys
    -ANYTHING by brittney
    -some cheezy pop punk.. just turn on MTV, it should't be hard to find.

Maybe you'll go to some school where people actually care about music.. out here in Santa Barbara, college audiences only care about getting drunk and doing that gyrating dance that isn't allowed on tv until after 10. Very unfortunate for someone trying to excel as a musician...

Anyway my real vote... how about a beatles song.. michelle is cool, or what if you covered and 80's song in a rock or punk style... like take on me or something.. my band does that and people like our punk covers more than our actual songs half the time.
  15. How about a punk cover of Rolling Stones: Paint it Black?
  16. That would be freakin' brilliant! Thats the Stone's best song! I have an mp3 of U2 doing a great rockin cover of it and its awesome!
  17. Well, Nirvana is always good and simple... maybe some Foo Fighters too?

Other than that, you have to have a catchy Primus song...I'm just getting into them, and 'Shake Hands With Beef' is my favourite song so far...maybe that?

I'd say a nice crunchy Pantera number would be good...and RATM would be good with 'Bullet In The Head', if your guitarist can handle the feedback fills. I also recommend 'My Own Summer' by the Deftones, nice and simple, or even some commercial stuff if you can bring yourself to do it(Rearranged by Limp Bizkit?)... and finally, my favourite song to play would be 'Take My Scars' by Machinehead...OMG what a song:eek:

Of course, I have heavy taste, if you see a lot of ppl in baggy pants and chains, then do one or two commercial stuff and then just hit em hard and heavy...if it's more of a laid back thing do slower stuff, maybe Incubus slower stuff. Family gatherings requires classics, Thin Lizzy, Steppenwolf, Sabbath, maybe even Rush if you can handle it. Overall, have fun, and make sure you get invited back!

18. How about Hotel California by The Eagles? Or is that usually reserved for weddings?
  19. How about "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath or "Crazy Train" by Ozzy"? How about Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters"? Or "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC? Oh..and DON'T forget the Zeppelin. Nothing beats good ol' hard rock.
    Good Luck in your band!
  20. Fire Water Burn by the Bloodhound Gang

"The roof, the roof
    the roof is on fire
    the roof, the roof
    the roof is on fire
    we don't need no water
    let the mother phucker burn"

...also another vote for painted black