Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Great sound in a small box

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Monte, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I picked up a used Schertler Pub 2/280 last week, and after 3 gigs, I'm really impressed!! This is a 280 watt bi-amped powered speaker. Small size (about the size of the AI Contra) but much heavier at 44 lbs. It has an 8" speaker and a compression tweeter. Very simple, with only the input (takes 1/4" or XLR), output, ground hum switch, a 12vdc out, and a volume knob. Paired with a good pre-amp, I can't imagine anything sounding cleaner with as much volume. The 8" speaker and good cabinet handle the low end really well, with a flat frequency range going down to the upper 30's.

In comparison with the Mackie powered speaker, the Schertler was able to get louder while remaining cleaner, in spite of the Mackie being bigger (12" speaker, 400w).

I used it this weekend without telling the band, setting it up with a floor stand in the corner. It was small enough that no one noticed it until we played, but they really liked the results. The drummer said he could really feel the low notes, while still hearing pitches.

These aren't cheap ($740), but might be a good option for someone wanting a good doublebass amp who already has a good pre-amp. I also tested it with my K & K Bass Max, and it never sounded better. Later, I chained it with my Contra, and would get plenty of volume for my next big band gig.

You can check out them here.

Monte

2. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Memphis
    Monte, I pulled out my old pub280 for a couple of
    gigs last weekend and here's what I found:
    Piano duo gig - pianist usually rushes the beat
    but the pub sound keeps him in the pocket much
    better than GK150.
    Sax-Guitar-Bass trio gig - the natural sound of
    the mids not only balanced better with the guitar
    but kept the saxophonist from overblowing to
    compensate for the boosted mids. Better groove
    and a more balanced sound without the edginess.
    I used Arnold Schnitzer's New Standard with an
    Underwood into a TC Electonic preamp/paraEQ to
    drive the pub. Will try the Raven Labs PMB-1
    next time. Really an honest sound - shows off
    poor intonation and articulation in a hurry. It
    reminds me a little of the old days with a Woods
    going into Bose 802's.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Yeah, it is so transparent, that you often wonder if the sound is out there, because it is hard to tell if it is even on. A few bassists sitting in have proven to me that it sounds just as good 40' away at the bar as it does to me on stage.

It has made me leave my trusty AKG C-3000 mic at home more and more lately.

Monte

4. poalf

poalf

Feb 27, 2003
    Phoenix, Az
    Are using the K&K instead of your Dyn-B? Tell me it ain't so.

5. anyone tried a mic through one of these?

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Monte,

I have to ask this: how loud will it go? I play mostly in blues bands using a 350W WWoods into a Bergantino 12" and have plenty of volume plus it works great for the BG, too.

How's the level compared to the Contra?

I keep looking at amps like this and the Contra (and could afford one) but am really worried if it's gonna have to stay home because of volume limitations.

7. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    No. I tried it to see how it would sound with a more "ordinary" pickup. Soon after, the Bass Max died, and resides in a trash can somewhere.

Monte

8. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Well, I don't really play it those types of situation. Volume wise, the Contra can get a little louder, but it does not stay transparent at the louder volume. The Schertler Pub is pure clean volume, when paired with a good preamp. With lots of volume, they make a 10" sub to pair with it that I may try out one day if I get a good tax refund.

Monte

9. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Just briefly with my AKG C3000. Sounded good, but the AKG needs phantom power, and my preamp that provides phantom (an ART Studio Tube MP) has no tone controls. Since the Schertler Pub is just a volume control, I would want a preamp or mixer with tone controls to adjust for each room.

Sounded good in my practice room, but who knows in the real world of noise and hollow stages?

Monte

10. poalf

poalf

Feb 27, 2003
    Phoenix, Az
    okay so I may not be done spending money... My 2/280 showed up today, Very natural sound, warm but focused, clear tone, even on the low strings and a nice small package. The only down side is that the metal grill buzzes when I hit any C with the volume up over half way. That and it won't make the volume that the Clarus/Bass 10 does (even with more watts). The jury is still out.