great sounding rock star rig vs ok sounding portable rigs..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by glocke1, Jul 27, 2013.

1. glocke1

glocke1 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Ive got two amp/cab setups...

System 1 is a Bagend S15D which I run a Mesa walkabout head through...I've been using this since 1999 or so...It sounds pretty good and is really all that is needed for most bar gigs.

System two (rock star rig) is an eden 2x12 that I am running as follows:
    demeter preamp-AlembicSF2-Eden WT800 (eden is mainly used as a power amp). This system is capable of producing some godlike bass tones.

Now...the conundrum is that sytem 2 is alot more gear to haul around, alot more gear to setup, and takes up alot more space, but sounds way better than system 1.

So, what do people hear prefer ? Good sound, or convenience?

2. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    I drag around a STV. Good sound trumps convenience every time. If you're not excited about your sound, you're not going to put in as good a performance.

Never take shortcuts to awesome.

3. bertbass666

bertbass666

Mar 6, 2009
    Always the sound for me.

4. glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    haha...thanks for the great sig line.

5. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    "Life is too short for a B rig."

6. :D Both.

You just like one of your rigs more than the other. Quite frankly, both of your rigs are quite nice, but neither one is 'state of the art'. If you want to take the time and spend the money, you can get a rig that would would probably like just as much or more than your 'big rig' that would be lighter than your small rig by a large amount.

These days, there is NO compromise regarding weight, size (for the most part) and quality of sound and even max volume in some cases. That being said, even your 'big rig' is not that large or heavy, so I would just get a very good cart (like a Rock 'n roller or something) and be happy!

7. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    For me it depends on where and who I'm playing with. (by "who" in mean what other instruments.) Also active vs passive. My Alembic has pretty comprehensive eq onboard, so smaller places with a good PA, I can get a pretty good sound DI alone. But, my passive J OTOH, I would never play out without a good bass amp.
    Your Demeter rig sound pretty BA. Have you thought about trading out the eden for a class d? That would go a long way toward saving some lbs, and your back.
    I just had a mini 800d put in my old 201, and my 42lb mackie amp is thankfully on the shelf forever...unless I need a new anchor for my boat.

8. glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    LOL...It took alot of time, money and trial and error to arrive at these rigs! The mesa/bagend Ive had since the late 90's.

The eden/demeter/alembic ive had since 2006...

Curious as to what your suggestion for a replacement would be that sounds as good as the large rig and is lighter than the small rig?

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You might be surprised how much better the Walkabout would sound if you connect it to your 2x12. Would also lighten the overall load significantly.

10. glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    yeah, ive been thinking about that...

11. :D Again, those are both great rigs in their own way. You were just generalizing that, for example, my 'big rig' (a Bergantino CN212 powered by a Glockenklang Blue Soul... total weight about 55 pounds) is in ANY way similar to your 'small rig', even though mine is much lighter.

For example, assuming you dig the nice mid forward and warm tone of the Eden 212XLT (IMO, one of the best cabs Eden has ever made to my ear), the Bergantino CN212 is 46 pounds, more oomph down low, and more maximum volume output. Also, there is nothing particularly magical about the WT800's power section (although it sounds very good). Get a little Demeter Mini 800 power amp, driven by that nice Demeter pre (actually, you can send that Demeter pre back to Demeter and get the power amp installed in the preamp box), and you can eliminate a couple spaces from your rack. Totally weight savings... I would guess about 60+ pounds, and IMO ZERO compromise on tonality.

Of course, I've just spent $2,000 of your money to get this done, but there you go:D You would go down to a lightweight 2 space rack (doing the 'power amp conversion' of your Demeter pre), and lop about 45 pounds from your cab weight. Just one example.

That being said, no two rigs sound the same, and it will sound a bit different. To me, since I am very familiar with the components that make up your rig, it will actually sound better (louder, clearer), but you might not think so.

IMO!

Edit: Just saw that MVE suggested the same modification to your preamp (installing the Mini 800). That, again, would be a no brainer. You could probably sell the WT800 for $500, making the entire cost manageable. Assuming you have a 4ohm 212XLT, that would kick just as hard as the WT800 bridged power section IMO.

12. +1 Or just get a lighter weight, more full range cab for the small rig, that would make it more similar to the tone of the big rig, and just enough louder to possibly use it much more often with little compromise in tone.

13. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    Sig on, Glocke1, Sig on.

14. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    My "day rig" is just a scaled down version of my rock star rig. I can't get away from my effects unit (line6 bass xtpro) or my wireless or my IEM's on either my country gigs nor my rock gigs. My "rock star" rig is somewhat dinosaur-ish. I run two Peavey MegaBass heads into two 4x10's and two 1x15 boxes. Signal starts with an AT 3000 series wireless into my Line 6 and then into the two MegaBass heads running in bi-amp. The 4x10's are actually some fairly generic Sonic boxes with RCF driver upgrades, the tweeters have been shot for about 15 years now, so I guess I don't miss them. The 15's are vintage Altec 821A's loaded into some cabinets I wound up building to replicate some older thiele design boxes I had some old former REO roadies that started a music store and sound company had built for me many years ago, that met with their demise in a bus fire. The boxes I built are actually very sweet, 13-ply void less birch, all dovetailed joints and I used an ebony stain in a translucent wash and poly'd the piss out of the. For a super high gloss finish. Furniture quality for sure, and I had always planned to do the same with the 4x10's....maybe someday. But really sharp looking. It's not necessarily a boutique sound at all, but for classic rock, it's the real McCoy. This is and was a real 80's rig. With the Line 6, I use a MarkKing style preset and get great 5 string tones, and when I'm using my '66 Jazz or my '91 TBird, I use the same settings but roll some top end off with a preset I've created for them.

For my "day rig" that I use for my country act, is the main rack (although I usually yank one of the MegaBass heads) and just roll with one of the 4x10's and I switch from bi-amp to full range. And since I run IEM's with the country band too, I rarely turn the MegaBass on, I just run straight out the Line 6 to the board. Just like having the backup capability of the live rig if needed, in case of who knows what. For the country gig, I am usually only using one of my 5 strings.

For rehearsal, I just plug my Line 6 desktop bass pod into our practice pa and run through wedges at a fairly low level. We're mostly working on vocals and arrangements at rehearsals anyway.

In either case though, I've got a nice Ford Escape to haul it all with and live in a decent neighborhood on the outskirts of a major league city, and have a nice newer 2 car garage to pull into, grab my axes and roll into the house when I get back from a gig. So I don't have issues with not being able to handle transporting my rig in any configuration or a need to tote it across the yard and into a basement every night. I've got wheels and caster bases to roll everything in and out, so I am very fortunate to be able to have what I do. And I appreciate that. I'd love a sexy little three lb. amp head and a little punchy 2x10 box for portability....but my rig is paid for, sounds great for the stuff I'm doing and I'd rather spend my money on my real addiction, more basses and guitars.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021