1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Great Surprise -- MP Jag Mods

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bobster, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I recently picked a slightly used Modern Player Jaguar. I've been very impressed with the bass and am really glad I made the purchase, but I've made a few tweaks. The original nut is pretty bad and I put in a Tusq one. The bridge J pickup has a good output, but will hum when solo'd (just as you'd expect).

I had a DiMarzio DP148 Ultra Jazz Bridge pickup laying around from a long-ago project and dropped it in (no routing, so the MP Jag bridge pickup route is a bridge-width one). It was out of phase with standard wiring, but swapping the leads brought it to life w/no hum. It mixes really well with the original P pickup.

Finally, I got a '62 stack knob Jazz set up from Sigler Music http://www.siglermusiconline.com/st...s-Loaded-Concentric-Control-Plate-83p5420.htm It went very easily, fit perfectly, and has made it SO much easier to get the sound I want from the bass.

I can bring in the P pickup, getting it's tone exactly right, and then dial in the Ultra Jazz with exactly the tone I want. This is a great combo and I think I'll be using the stack knob setup with any P/J bass I own going forward.

All the best,

Bob