great Tone????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 4stringjazzking, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Hi I'm new to the forum....I have a question, I don't know if any one can help but I'll ask any way.
    In my five years of playing bass I have always serched for that killer tone of the vintage jazz bass and my favorite artist John Paul jones and I have managed to nail it right on with the right combination of guitar, strings, pickups, head, and cab.
    I have recently taken a fastination for GETTY LEE'S know that awsome clean growell he gets, best egsample that comes to mind is (Working Man) has anyone managed to match this tone I would sure like to know how????? My guess would be his pickups there's not much info out there on Getty and I'm sure he would probable like to keep his recipe for tone to him self.
    I'm not a big fan of peddles but have used them on ocassion, I'm a firm believer in a good guitar and rig to achieve quality sound.
  2. For killer Vintage Jazz bass sound I suggest u check out some Jaco Pastorius, the things he did with his were just simply amazing. But yes Ive also wondered how Geddy got that growl in his tone, I suggest u do a search on Geddy lee and im sure u will come up with many answers, more than I can muster, Oh yea welcome to our humble board, mostly Troll free ;)
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Geddy Lee's tone is pretty complex, and has certainly changed over the years. Currently, he uses his famous Fender Jazz through a Sans Amp unit, which gives him a little grit in his tone.

Back on Working Man, on Rush's first album, I think he used a Fender Precision. I read somewhere that the Rickenbacker didn't come until the 2nd or 3rd album...maybe someone can confirm?

I also know there's a website with his gear for each album and tour. You might find it in a search of these boards, though maybe someone else knows where it is???

Last, I went to a Trace Elliot clinic back before Gibson had taken over, when I sold Trace Elliot and Geddy was still using Trace Elliot. What I learned about Geddy's tone on the Counterparts album and tour was that he kept the amp setting completely flat except boosting the 250 hz slider all the way up. And, he frequently favored his bridge pickup a little bit.
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    off to misc. since this more tone related than actually bassist related
  5. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I think Geddy's tone might be one of those situations which prove it's more to do with the player. He used Fenders, Rics, Wals, and yet you can usually tell it's Geddy. That said, I've played one of the signature Geddy J basses, and that may be a good place to start.
  6. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    I don't think he tries to hide his secrets,Everything I've read about him he's always said exactly what he's using.Last time I saw rush he had the 2 original power amps he used way back,rackmounted,I can't recall the make and they are no doubt modified,but they are vintage stuff.I know he's also used the a Palmer speaker simulator after the DI into the console.
  7. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    It is also the way he plays,he has a very aggressive picking style.