1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Great Value 2 x 10 Cabs with BIG sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BottomE, Apr 27, 2009.

1. My spine hurts, my wife is getting angry and the kids want more room. Its time to trade in my Ampeg Cabs for something a little lighter and that takes less space.

Can anyone recommend some good 4 Ohm 2 x 10 Cabs that are small whilst at the same time phat and punchy? The plan is to buy two of them and only take one to rehearsal and both to gigs. They are going to powered by a Little Mark II Amp.

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    If your planning on running 2 cabs with the Little Mark you should get 8 ohm. I don't believe the LM goes down to 2 ohms.

4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    True; and I would recommend Gallien Krueger RBH cabs, personally.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nope, it only does 4 ohms or more. Get 8 ohm cabs.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    how loud are your bands? and how much do you want to spend?

an acme b2 is about 50lbs. and is rather compact.

7. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Genz Neox 210T is the only choice imho :)

8. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Well, not to divert your quest, but what i recently tried and liked is the Markbass New York 604. I tested it with a Little Mark II and a F500. I tried it alone and in conjunction with a Mesa Boogie 112 (and the amps above mentioned).

Together with the 112, it looks like a terrific mini rig. Alone it's also very good and articulate with enough but not thunderous lows, if you usually use a PA at gigs, then it's a nice gigging rig as well. It's so easy to move around and it takes no space ...

Only thing I didn't like was the price...so... I bought one :)
    It might not fit your obejectives, but worth having a look if you didn't know it.

9. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Btw, Schroeder might have something for you as well...

10. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
  11. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    why not taking a markbass 102 and a 121 ?

12. guys, great as always. Yes, was confused bout the ohm thing so thanks for clearing that up.

Gigs are mainly using the backline. I rarely put the bass thru a PA. I am not to worried about thunderous lows - i need quality punch. Both would be good but hey...

13. Frankiebass59

Frankiebass59

Feb 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Have a look at the Low Down Sound Club thread. I just posted pix of Don's 2x10. Huge sound from a small box. Pricing is very fair as well. My 2X10 handles the low B well. Lots of punch & definition. Mine has a 6.5" mid as well. Cool stuff, I'm very satisfied. Good luck.

Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452230&page=12

14. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Bear in mind that the OP is in the UK so prices and availability is very different to stateside! One quality 8 ohm cab should do a great job and give you the option of adding a second cab for bigger gigs without going below the 4 ohm minimum.

Alex

15. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Genz Benz NeoPak 3.5 is a great little amp to do 500w's at 2ohm. I use 2 4ohm Avatar b210's stacked vertically whenever possible, but usually it's to much.

16. I have been looking at reviews and stuff for some of the gear you suggested. The Ashdown stuff looks ok but having played the lower end Ashdowns i found their speakers a bit weak sounding. The Gallien Krueger stuff looks nice - worth a try.

I was hoping to be able to spend about £600 ($750). What is the best quality that i could expect for that kind of money?

17. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    As with Ashdown, GK run a budget (BLX) and a high-end (RBH) series

BLX
    http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/210-blx/67581
    setting you back about £260 for a pair

or
    RBH
    http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=4161
    setting you back £1000 for a pair.

I think i might be onto something here though
    ABM is the top-end ashdown stuff, and rocking in at 350w handling at 8 ohms
    http://www.reverb-store.co.uk/product-detail.asp?prod=3932
    a pair will cost you £560, wich is a little under budget, but the impedance is what you need, and it's said to be brilliant equipment. There's plenty of support for ashdowns on TB (see "Show Your Ashdown")

VS

18. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Have a look at the secondhand gear over on basschat.co.uk - also see below and in the news on the talkbass home page! ;)

Alex

19. Sparkdog

Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Carvin's BRX 10.2 neo is a 4 ohm cab and kicks serious bootaay...I use one with the new BX500 head and can't believe the huge sound from this tiny rig.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/bassamps/

20. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Carvin are fantastic value in the USA but they're almost impossible to get in the UK and they're much more pricey if you can find one. Likewise you can't get Avatar here at anywhere near the US prices.

But at least we're less marooned than the Aussies!

Alex