Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Greatest bass player in the world????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Just curious, is it really fair to say one person is the best player in the world? considering that most people that play bass dont have any exposure to the media, I am sure there are many bass players on this forum that are excellent and can probably play with the best of them if they had the exposure at the right time. Having said that, what are the quals for being the best? are the quals consistant? I am just curious about this so try not to bash me too bad! maybe I am missing something?? I see nothing wrong with haveing people we admire as bassist, but does one go to far to say this or that person is the best in the world? when everyone who plays bass in the world has not been heard? BTW, I know that some people dont get the play they deserve because they just suck! :spit:

ok, share!:bassist:bassist: :D

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No!

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That's why I don't use that term.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    From a certain level of proficiency on upwards it's not an issue of "better" anymore but of "different" or "individual".

5. yekcko,

I think its really unfair to say who the best is. I mean, we all can give our opinions, and those opinions are based a lot on what type of music we like as well as on the bassists. How could you ever really try to compare Jamerson with Jaco - well you could try, but it would be unfair to both of them. Their different styles and different music called for different approachs to playing.

Our own prejudices get in our way. We could all come up with a list of names of players who are great...but picking out the VERY BEST? Kinda impossible if you ask me.

I had a friend who once said that he thought that for every Beethoven, Picasso, or Einstein, there were 10 folks living in the same time who had just as much talent. For some reason, these folks never caught a break, or died too young, or had mental or emotional problems...or maybe just had a lousy PR guy.

Point being, that if we COULD determine who the best bassist is in the world, he's probably someone no one has ever heard of.

Heck, he could even be someone who posts here. But he's definitely NOT me, my dog plays better than I do, I just have to clean up the drool.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

7. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    You know I have heard people say that they went such and such a place and heard this person play, (who is not well known btw) and they were totally blown away by this person, I do agree with the post on this forum thus far, there are really just too many peopel in the world, all with their own styles to say one is at the top of everyone else in the world:bassist: I know for sure one person who is not, thats me:bassist: but I can play a nice 1,4,5 progression, if that counts for anything:D :D

play loud, play hard, play skillfully, but what-ever you do, keep time with the drummer!!!!:bassist:

8. In general, the people who talk about the "best bass player in the world" haven't progressed far enough (or at all) on the instrument to realize that the concept is ludicrous.

That said, I know I'm the best bass player in my house...I won't say any further though because I don't know my neighbors very well :D

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    this is all wrong

I must go back to the lounge and calm down

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I am.....there problem solved. Just no one argue with me ;)

:meh:

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think fieldy's got y'all beat.

13. Fair? To whom? It's downright silly as far as I'm concerned. I mean... is there some sort of world sanctioning body that determines who the best bassist is? It's fair for you to think that someone is the best... but don't expect us all to jump in on the worship wagon. There are crappy bassists, so-so bassists, good bassists, and jaw dropping soil-my- underwear-when-I-hear-them-play bassists. What you consider to be a "soil-my-underwear" bassist may be merely a "good bassist" to me (and vice versa). I think JMX is on the money when he says that, at a certain level, it's no longer a question of better or worse..... just different.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Adrian Davison, of course ;)

15. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Naturally! He is scientifically proven to be greatest!

BTW has anyone ever actually heard him play? Seriously, how does it sound? :confused:

16. Geez FloydtheBarber, dont spread THAT around, I'm working damn hard trying to convince everone I know that it's difficult! LOL!

17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I think ......Oh wait,,, no i don't.