Greatest BassLines in classic rock songs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SimpleMan, Aug 6, 2005.

1. SimpleMan

Aug 6, 2005
    I just joined a classic rock band, and i was looking for basslines to actually chalenge me instead of the usual basslines which are dull and boring. So could you guys post some good songs with awsome basslines in them.

SimpleMan - Lynyrd Skynyrd
  2. I've always liked "The Lemon Song" by Led Zeppelin
  3. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    My Generation.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    "Rocking Down the Highway," Doobie Brothers, if you like a million eighth-notes.
  5. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Tarkus - ELP
  6. Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    the real me- the who
  7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Jethro Tull - Aqualung
    Yes - Roundabout
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

9. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

My Generation - one of the greatest bass solos ever
    Got This Thing on the Move - Grand Funk Railroad
    Rain - Beatles
  10. Does "In A Gadda Da Vida" by Iron Butterfly count? I Heard on some live version the singer goes(cant think of his name) "Waa Uooh" And then the bass comes in. i laugh every time i hear it.
  11. Don't ever laugh at Doug Ingle.

I've always loved the runs from The Experience's Hey Joe and Fire
  12. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    Rock huh? I don't listen to much rock......hmm.......

Buddy Miles:: Them Changes

Jeff Beck:: Constipated Duck

I wasnt trying to say it was a bad sound. I just find that out of nowhere he says it, It sounds funny to me. I think you'd be better off at Harmony Central...
  14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If your playing classic rock and are concerned with bieng bored then I would consider changing your approach. Alot of the lines are not flashy or technically challenging, that's just the nature of the beast, like it or not.
    IME, you'll need to look toward tone and feel to challenge yourself. Many of the lines on there own are basic enough but if you consider the diversity of tones achieved with the various equipment and production techniques you should find you have quite a tall order to fill.
    Trying to capture the vibe, feel and tone of a grinding picked Rick or Wal, and then downshifting to mellow, dry P-bass with flats in the same set may not win you any achievement awards but it's challenging, none the less.
    I learned the hard way that trying to make these basslines "more interesting" is an act of self and just detracts from the music. I'm not trying to assume that this is what anyone else is doing, I'm just admiting that did it and it was usually the wrong thing to do.
  15. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think this is better suited for the recordings forum. Off it goes!
  16. You betcha, noob.
  17. Down on the Corner - CCR......not really hard, but it's fun to play.
  18. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I don't know what tunes you're playing, but with the classic rock tunes my band plays, I wish they weren't so damn busy all the time!

But some fun ones for me:
    Undun - The Guess Who
    Ziggy Stardust - Bowie
    Ramble On - Led Zeppelin
    Melissa - Allman Brothers

Edit: By the way--you're the bass player--if you don't like what you're doing, change it! Challenge yourself, you don't need to do what someone else did. You probably don't need to change tunes, just your point of view! Good luck

19. I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home)