Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Greatest Gibson Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rob W, Apr 14, 2002.

Greatest Gibson Bass

Poll closed Nov 10, 2003.
  1. EB1

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. EB0

7 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. EB2

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. EB3

15 vote(s)
    11.2%
  5. Thunderbird

52 vote(s)
    38.8%
  6. Ripper

19 vote(s)
    14.2%
  7. Grabber

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  8. G-3

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  9. Les Paul Signature

8 vote(s)
    6.0%
  10. RD Artist

9 vote(s)
    6.7%
  11. Victory Artist

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  12. Les Paul (modern versions)

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  13. other

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. Although Gibson isn't regarded as the number one bass maker out there, they have made some pretty exceptional basses over the years. Many of the good ones didn't stick around long due to general lack of interest in Gibson. Too bad.

IMO the greatest bass Gibson ever made is the RD Artist (produced in the late '70's). I'm a very proud owner of a sunburst/ebony board specimen in fine condition. My next favourite is the Ripper - a very underated bass.

If there are any choice nominations I've missed, let me know.

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well its a tie between the G3 and the thunderbird.

thunderbird is my new favourite (shavo) and G3 cause Mike Dirnt used it.

later
    Lukas

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    That's quite an understatement.

Debateable. The TBird is, by many accounts, the only decent bass Gibson ever came up with. And it has plenty of detractors.

They make great guitars, however.

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    RD Artist is one of the best rock basses around. If you ever get a chance to try one, you will be surprised.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Most of Gibson's designs never translated well to bass IMO.

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have played the EB1, EB2. ripper, G3, thuinderbird.
    and the best to me is this one:

[​IMG]

one of the best basses i have ever tried, great, huge superfato tone with the neck humbucker, synth like with the bridge pickup. bass mayhem with the bass booster engaged. i played a sunburst 1967. great bass for motown, really great. when it was on sale i had not the money...

7. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    To each their own, absolutely!:D
    However: I quote from the Book of something-or other:

"....& On the sixth day, Leo created the Bass
    (Fender) and yea, it came to pass that all others shall be but a shadow of His creation, be they
    Alembics, Ken Smith, or what-have-you, for the
    plank of Alder that has becometh the Precision shall be thy one & only design producing the sounds of Heaven!" Then he rested.

"For those accursed to play the lesser guitar,
    Lo! Thou shall follow the path of thy Les Paul, and unto Gibson shall ye go! But strayeth not from the path of the Fender Bass!! Why the ***$%#
    do you think its called a Fender Bass??!!"

I apologize in advance if I've been offensive to anyone- none intended, just humour!!;)

8. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    The T-bird is easily top of the list. It's weak point is the point where the huge headstock meets the (there) tiny neck.

Grabbers, Rippers & G-3's are planks with trunks to my humble taste.

The RD is not bad, but bulky and I'm not keen on the built in electronics - compressor and expander for those who didn't know.

The semi-acoustics and the SG models have the wrong pickups in the wrong place of the wrong scale length to my taste. But let me shut up because the wonderful flamenco/fusion virtuoso Carles Benavent played one before he had custom built a similar bass and sounded great of course.

The modern LP bass is actually not bad at all. It plays and sounds well, but the balance might be a a bit off (I only played it siting down without strap). It looks to guitary to me.

I'd never be lured away from my Fenders by any one of 'm.

9. I must agree with Rob W and Brooks. One of my biggest "instrumental" regrets is not buying a black on black RD artist that was hangin' around the Sam Ash Hempstead store about 25 years ago. What a bass. I also used to own a G3, but, sold it. I liked the sound of the Ripper better.

If I may nominate a bass that may or may not qualify as a Gibson (you know what I'm going to say) The Epiphone Jack Casady. O.K. it's not a full fledged Gibson, but, it is an almost direct copy of the 70s Gibson Les Paul Signature bass. If you haven't tried this bass I urge all of you to do so at your earliest convenience, although I know that not a lot of dealers don't have them in stock.

Mike J.

11. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada
    Gibber has made some righteous basses over da years. I particularly like the T-Bird followed by the EB-3(cuz its cool) and the modern Les paul and SG basses sound very good. Nothing wrong there.

Ive noticed with theT-bird it has a fairly bright trebly tone..Takes some work to get warmth outta. But its a superb rock & blues bass and nothing oozes more cool than a T-Bird draped around ya.:cool: :cool: :cool:

12. I gotta vote for the G3, the only Gibson I've ever owned. Played and sounded great, with a lot of vibe. Wish I'd kept it.. bought it for $100, sold it for $375.. oh well!

13. Since this thread is full of Gibson afficionados, I thought that here would be a good place to ask a question.

The bass I started out on was an old Gibson EB-something-or-another, and I don't know exactly what model it is. Here's a digital camera shot of the thing.

http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/nimby/pics.html

I really liked that old bass, but it really made for a tough first instrument. HEAVY and with a pretty hard "v" neck... But it got the job done sure enough. :cool:

14. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada
    That's a beauty bass, dude! It looks very much like an EB-3 but the pickups are not in the right spots. The front pup should be right up by the end of the FB..And the bridge pup should be a little farther back.

BTW, DiMarzio makes an excellent replacement neck pup for those basses that improves the tone a lot.

Calling it an EB-3 is a good start. Nice bass-Keep it!

15. I like the Nikki Sixx Signature bass.

16. I've owned or played all of the Gibson basses over the years and currently own a G-3, plays great and sounds good even better with a good preamp.

17. I know exactly what you're saying about the pick-ups!! :confused: That was the part that had me all confused, too. I voted EB-3, though.

And an awesome bass it was... Too bad it wasn't mine. It belongs to my old high school, and when I graduated, I had to give it up. GRRRR!! :mad: However, I'm working on trying to get the school to sell it to me, if I bought them a nice fancy new Precision and threw in a hundred bucks on the side...

:D

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno...I'd like to get my hands on a Ripper, a Thunderbird, and a RD Artist (w/ Moog) all in one room before I make the call.

Can you tell I'm lookin' at the "rock" part of Gibson's lineup?

19. I'll tell you this, when you engage the expander curcuit on the RD Artist this bass definitely "goes to eleven"! :D

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Forget 11...I want Crunk. Crunk is about 1-2 higher than 11, depeding on the venue. Crunk is so named by the sound of the drummer's head exploding when you lock in with a tasty groove.