Greatest Gibson Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rob W, Apr 14, 2002.

Greatest Gibson Bass

Poll closed Nov 10, 2003.
  1. EB1

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. EB0

7 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. EB2

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. EB3

15 vote(s)
    11.2%
  5. Thunderbird

52 vote(s)
    38.8%
  6. Ripper

19 vote(s)
    14.2%
  7. Grabber

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  8. G-3

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  9. Les Paul Signature

8 vote(s)
    6.0%
  10. RD Artist

9 vote(s)
    6.7%
  11. Victory Artist

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  12. Les Paul (modern versions)

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  13. other

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sorry. While Gibson has (have, if you're British) made some nice looking basses over the years, there are no "great" Gibson basses. Maybe your poll should have been "Least mediocre Gibson bass," or "Gibson bass that sucks the least."

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I, OTOH simply chose not to participate:D

3. I really like the EB-0s and EB-3s! Exactly HOW cool are these? :) Anyway... Jean: that bass you have there is a post 1973 (or was it -72?) EB-3. In 1973, they did move the PUPs from their original positions.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  4. bassboat

bassboat

Sep 27, 2001
    Late 50's Eb-2. The early ones with single coil pick-ups! Very Deep.

5. This strays a little from basses, but, still concerns Gibson. There's a shop that I pass by after work sometimes on Bleeker St. called Matt Umanov Guitars. For the last month or so, they've had the most beautiful SG in the window that I've ever seen. You know the way a sunburst finish starts with the lightest color (usually amber) in the center and progresses to the red/brown and then the black at the edges? Well this one has the amber near the neck, and then the darker colors fade towards the bottom of the guitar; I've never seen anything like it, and regular people (people not into guitars) walk by and stop and comment on how good it looks. Anyway there's a link to the shop below, and although I couldn't find a photo of the SG I'm talking about, I thought you guys would like to see the $75,000 Pre-war L-5 they have there and especially don't miss the Martin 1928 00-44 that's going for $100,000.

Once you get in, click on "Used & Vintage" and then "Unusual stuff."

www.umanovguitars.com

Enjoy,
    Mike J.

Let me know if any of you buy anything. :D

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I wonder how many people who voted 'Thunderbird' have ever played an RD Artist? There is no comparison, IMHO.

I will own one some day, when I have the $$$ at the same time I see the right price.

7. Granted, many Gibson basses are of dubious popluarity, I think it's a bit of a generalization to think that they "suck'. Most were very well made, though admitedly, many sound pretty murky.

There are actually a couple that really stand out as top notch, Hi-Fi basses made with great care and precision.

Have you actually played a mint condition RD Artist? They are pretty exceptional instruments IMO.

8. The Ripper is a fine bass. I would love to find a fretless, To go with my fretted one.

9. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

@ http://www.edsguitars.com/

8952656.gif

10. $899.00 is a little out of my reach right now. :(

11. Used to own a Victory with a matched set of factory necks, one fretted and one fretless (only one like it I believe). It played nice and sounded great... but it weighed a freakin' ton!

Still, I'd like that one back... but then again I'd like my EB0 back too :D

12. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    here's my '65 eb-0. it is really fun to play, but sounds muddy when turned up really loud.

13. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

Jean - you have a beautiful Gibson EB3-L Heavy like a rock! I love the tone I use't get outta mine before I got stupid and traded it away. (I decided I needed a fretless worse - Idiot!)

If your ever interested in selling it, give me a call! (And yes, I'm serious)

Just curious - whats the serial number on the back of the head stock?

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

15. I have owned many a bass over the last 13 years. Of Fenders I have let go of both a Precision and a Jazz, of Musicman I have let go of both a sterling and a stingray.

I have three main basses; two Zons and a Spector.

I have three "nick-nack" basses; a Warwick, a Fender VI, and a MM Sterling.

And I have two back up basses, secondary to my main three...

two 1977 Gibson RD Artists, one blonde with a maple fb and the other sunburst with an ebony fb. They are capable of more tones than most any bass made today.

~Ad

16. Thanks, man. As I said before, though (in a tone of pure depression) the bass belongs to my high school and therefore when I graduated, I had to give the lovely thing up. :( And yes, this bass does have excellent tone, bright yet thick and great for slap, I thought. I hope to swindle the school out of it yet!! :D :D

I do have the number on the back of the headstock, however. Unfortunately, I don't have it on me right now, but I can get my hands on it at anytime I want. If you're really interested and willing to wait a few days (I can only get online here at work, and I usually work only on Sundays), I can e-mail it to you.

And sorry... Even if that bass was mine to sell, I wouldn't. It has just too much history for me. It was the first bass I had, the bass I learned to play on, and it erks me to no end that the thing doesn't belong to me. It's a little like that movie Corvette Summer, where Luke Skywalker builds this amazing custom Sting Ray and loves it to death, but it was a high school project and thus high school property. Dammity-damn!!

17. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Well I remember taking an overnight bus ride from Santa Barbara to San Jose to pick up my new Gibson EB-2. I got it because it was very cool looking and a number of the British bassists were using them. You could crank some pretty interesting sounds out of it, but it did tend to be a bit on the boomy side with flatwounds and the Bassman amp I was using. Wish I still had it cuz they go for a couple of grand easy.

18. Thanks a ton for the help, guys. The mystery of the Gibson EB-? is solved!

:cool: :D

19. I think the school would prefer a new P bass so maybe there is hope for being reunited with your fine looking errr EB 3?

20. I haven't had the pleasure of playing a Ripper yet, but I was able to play a G-3, a Grabber and a Les Paul.
    The Grabber won out, it was comfy, and had a really "homey" warm tone that I really really liked. It also was just right for me, better than my Squier P.
    The G-3, I don't really remember, except it had a horrible setup, the strings were almost a 1/2 to 3/4 inch off the neck(I guess that's what I get for shopping at GC), I didn't like the tone, but I didn't fiddle with it much.
    The Les Paul was like strapping on a log, and playing it sounded like farts...ugh.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021