Greatest Gibson Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rob W, Apr 14, 2002.

Greatest Gibson Bass

Poll closed Nov 10, 2003.
  1. EB1

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. EB0

7 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. EB2

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. EB3

15 vote(s)
    11.2%
  5. Thunderbird

52 vote(s)
    38.8%
  6. Ripper

19 vote(s)
    14.2%
  7. Grabber

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  8. G-3

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  9. Les Paul Signature

8 vote(s)
    6.0%
  10. RD Artist

9 vote(s)
    6.7%
  11. Victory Artist

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  12. Les Paul (modern versions)

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  13. other

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I really like the new SG-Z basses as well. Very THICK tone same with the newer T-Birds.

2. Although I still love the fat (and very hot!!) sound of the single neck-positioned humbucker of my first real bass (1970 EB-0, SG style cherry red 30" scale with slotted headstock), I would always vote for the TBird.

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    1.- Thunderbird
    2.- Ripper/Grabber
    3.- EB-3

bobyoung53 likes this.
  4. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Sorry for my late response.

I have owned a number of Gibson basses in my past.

I liked my EBO with black strings. (same as Ed mentioned) The very short scale was cool and I liked the distinctive sound.

The EB3 I owned was a "new and improved" version of the EBO which really did not compare to the quality of the original EBO in my opinion.

My next Gibson was a hollow body. ( the same as the one pictured in previous post)

I owned one more Gibson but I cannot remember it at all. Perhaps that tells us something about the quality of this particualr instrument.

My favorite Gibson actually is an Epiphone. You know that Gibson made Epihone at the time. My Epiphone, which I bought from a neighbor for $50 in 1968, was very much a version of the Thunderbird. I do not know the model but I do know that it is quite rare. I have seen a few, identical in looks except for very short scale neck. Mine is very long like the TB an the pegs tune backwards. A couple of years ago I took this bass in for a minor repair and the very knowledgable bass repair guy (who is a bassists) freaked! He told me that in his 30 years of repair work he has never seen this bass. He said that the only one he knows of is played by _____ who is plays with ______. I cannot remember the player or band. Of course this repair man wanted to buy it.

If someone of you would be so kind as to tell me how to add a photo to a post on the board I will be glad to put it up. I have a digital camera.

Jim Stinnett

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Jim, first the photo has to be hosted on the web somewhere, all you have to do is use UBB code to link to it. Here is how you do it. Use the IMG tags and put the url of the picture between them, but leave out the asterisks.

[img*]http://a7.cpimg.com/image/ED/41/8874477-9358-02000180-D.jpg[/img*]

When I remove the asterisks, I get this.

[​IMG]

7. RawBassist

RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    USA
    that my friend would be a 1974 Gibson EB-3. My dad still has one just like that. I saw one on the internet in a store in NYC that was retailing at US $1895

8. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    It have to say the Les Paul Bass (for sentimental reasons). It was my first bass. Unfortunately once I played a 34" scale Fender at a live gig, the Gibson had to go. I kept it about 3 years. IMO Gibson just never grasped the fundementals of what it takes to make a good bass. That includes sound and appearance. They seem to design their basses with a guitar mentality.:rolleyes:

9. Well I don't know if this is considered a Gibson but I own a Tobias Growler 5. I believe it was made at the Gibson factory.
    Very nice bass and very well made.

10. This IS the best gibson bass!

11. RawBassist

RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    USA
    DUDE! That thing has to way like two tons! How in the world do you not break your friggin shoulder?:D
    Are you sure thats an EB-0? With those pups that look like all neck pups, thats pupped up man. LOL:)

12. RawBassist

RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    USA
    NEVRMIND, I took a look at the spot where the nut is and saw a bold EB-0. so nevermind that last question

13. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    outside of their guitars i have no real thoughts towards GIBSON. i do have that feeling you are being bent over when you look at what they want for their instuments. even the quality they have, is not worth what you pay and i'm still talking the guitars.

from what you said about the basses... :( damn. i know for what you pay for a GIBSON anything in the low end i could go look at a something better. like a gecko bass or something, or some thing privately crafted.

i will say this for GIBSON, i did run across a sweet bass they made years ago i wanted. even knowing as little as i do about bass at the moment and then, i knew quality in an instrument, it was low action, fast neck, solidly built. i wanted it, but i didn't have the $800 the store owner wanted for it. too bad, b/c i bet it would be worth something today.

anyway wouldn't buy anything bass-wise from gibson, but this bass. it had the ripper's body, but a better bridge, a flying V's style headstock. i think the store owner said it was an "eliminator?" :( that sounds too much more like a ZZ TOP Albumn:( if anyone knows what this might be, this bass, please PM me, and let me know. thanks guys.

14. :D :eek: ;)

15. Acctully it was microsoft paint!

16. It is true that Gibson basses are not typically thought of as great marvels of bass guitar engineering.However if you are looking for a low end wall of sound,dirty,round and very 70's.Then plug my 71 Eb3 or 64 T Bird into either my vintage SVT or Sunn 2000s and I guarantee you will not only find the holy grail of this particular vintage tone but will perhaps not have to worry about ever fathering children. Boutique basses, they ain't...

bobyoung53 likes this.
  17. The Thunderbird, especially the Bicentennial 1976 ones, are the best ever !!!

18. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Gibson Bass ? gib1.jpg

bobyoung53 likes this.
  19. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I voted EB3 even though Pearl started out as an EB0. I tried Fenders but my small hand just couldn't adapt, in fact it was painful playing 34" scale basses. My 68 EB0 played like butter but the tone was so muddy I knew it needed to be modified. First I had the stock EB3 bridge pu added with a 3 way switch and volume and control knobs in the exact same stock position. This helped some but still the bass lacked definition below the A note. I was also experiencing intonation problems on the E string. To resolve that I had a BAI bridge installed. Sonically for this bass it was the best mod I had done up to this point. Still the neck pu was so powerful I switched it out for a Dimarzio Model One with an in an out of phase switch. In phase it retained much of the stock pickup thunder but out of phase it sounds a little more...(can I say this in a gibson thread?) fender like. In the early 70s I saw a couple of hand carved instruments done by a local guitarist name Mike Chapman. I commisioned him to carve up my bass. 80 hours of carving later Pearl was born. I tipped Mike with 2 tickets to see Beck Bogert and Appice. Of course I will never part with her. She still sounds like thunder when thumbed in church. [​IMG]

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021