Greatest Gibson Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rob W, Apr 14, 2002.

Greatest Gibson Bass

Poll closed Nov 10, 2003.
  1. EB1

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. EB0

7 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. EB2

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. EB3

15 vote(s)
    11.2%
  5. Thunderbird

52 vote(s)
    38.8%
  6. Ripper

19 vote(s)
    14.2%
  7. Grabber

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  8. G-3

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  9. Les Paul Signature

8 vote(s)
    6.0%
  10. RD Artist

9 vote(s)
    6.7%
  11. Victory Artist

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  12. Les Paul (modern versions)

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  13. other

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    This one...

6349.gif

6350.gif

...(Gibson Victory Artist) will always be my favorite Gibson. :cool:

2. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    It was never popular, but I love old 1953-58 EB-1.
    Great for recording.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  3. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    This was not in the poll, but I vote for the
    Explorer.
    [​IMG]

4. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

This one

1963 Eb3

Stock
    no mods
    There won't be any ever...

[​IMG]

Thor

bobyoung53 likes this.
  5. Grabber Rules!

6. EB-2,G3,'70's Les Paul sig,and non-reverse T-Bird get my vote.

Edit: Since there were no photos of non-reverse T-birds in this thread:[​IMG]

7. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Sounds like a Grabber to me. Did it have a sliding single pickup?

I've always been curious about the G3 bass. It's not often you see a 3 pickup bass. If any owners or players are out there, please post your opinions.

8. Thorsoundcore

Thorsoundcore Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Capital district, NY
    wow...so this is where all the hate for gibson basses started on TB...:D

and no,I'M sorry.cause this is just your opinion.what might be a trashy gibson bass to you could be gold to another person.
    and yeah,i know your post is from like 7 years ago...

9. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I love my Leland Sklar sig

10. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

How could you forget the greatest of all Gibson basses, the SG?

11. So..., when you say Gibson SG are you refering to the newly issued SG Bass Gibson put out in 2005, or the EB0, EB3, EB4, and EB6 Basses of the 60's & 70's?

It's interesting that Gibson had an EB (50's violin shaped), EB0, EB1, EB2, EB3, EB4, EB6, but never an EB5 bass.

It's good to see this thread active. :hyper:

12. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
  13. necro thread

14. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The new ones. The SG Special in particular. Though the '70s EBs are nice too.

But the SG reissues are very sweet.

15. I've owned several - it's tough to decide which of the models are on my don't buy list last.

16. I played an '81 G3 as my only fretted bass from '82 to '96,when the headstock came unglued.(wasn't ever broken,just came unglued)Alder body,ebony fretboard.Loved the feel and the tone of it.Tonewise I'd say very Fender Jazz like,tho maybe that was just me and my choice of EQ and strings.I do remember the engineer at Pedernales Studio(Austin) saying he liked the tone of the G3 better than the Jazz bass I had.The G3 has great low mids that make it perfect for studio work IMHO.

Here are some soundclips I found.These clips sound less bright than I remember my G3 sounding.But as I said before,might have been me/my settings.I used stainless steel Roto's and later SS Ken Smiths.These clips are recorded with nickel wound strings.
    http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/G3_soundclips.php

I'd still be playing my G3 today if the headstock hadn't come unglued.I tried having it fixed three times before I gave up and bought another Jazz. :atoz:

EDIT: I don't think ANY of these clips sound like a Jazz bass.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  17. coastie72

coastie72

Apr 6, 2009
    Columbia SC
    My 1981 Gibson Victory Artist has surprised a bunch of fellow bassist that were Fender players. It was and still is a fine instrument that has an array of tonal choices. Most of my Fender loving counterparts that asked to play it was pleasantly surprised. It has alot of mileage on it, but I am careful with my gear and it still looks darn good! Just a few small nicks and some belt marks.
    We are all different, some likes sugar and milk in their oatmeal, cinnamon, pecans, but if I eat it hand me the salt, pepper and butter. I would rather have grits though!

18. EB3.
    Fast, powerful, well made, and Jack Bruce is a God. :D

bobyoung53 likes this.
  19. TheLowB

TheLowB

Jun 13, 2009
    northern virginia
    non reverse tbirds ftw, id sell my liver for one

20. John Eland

John Eland

Oct 27, 2015
    HETTON LE HOLE
    True, Gibson have never really been known for there bass's, I did however like the EB3L, great sound but neck heavy like most of them and should never have sold mine, when they brought out the SG bass I was intrigued! I thought could this be a revamp of my old bass, so I tried one and was horrified, I expected at least it would sound like the old bass but was sadly mistaken, no varitone and totally different PU's, it's PU's are from a Thunderbird under the shiny covers, the original had a mudbucker! tone wise I was disappointed too, there was something missing, that damn varitone and one tone!
    I put it down and walked away but I did pick up a new EB bass, two PU's, two volumes and a tone and boy was I surprised, treble sparkled and it could get as muddy as you like! the addition of coil taps on both PU's changed the tone considerably and very pleasantly giving single coil sound like a fender, I played with this bass for ages in the shop exploring the different tones and eventually bought it as it kicked the SG bass well into touch!
    Another thing too, it balances on the strap! I'm no longer fighting to keep the neck where it should be! it's not the most expensive bass out there, it's not the most expensive bass Gibson has ever made and but I thank them for there innovation, it has won me over.
    If they had reissued the EB3 as it was, no doubt about it I would have bought one even in short scale, I think it was there best bass to date based on the SG guitar but I'm happy I tried the one I bought, great innovation coupled with lots of tone variation, a great choice to sit along side my Fender.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021