Greatest Gibson Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rob W, Apr 14, 2002.

Greatest Gibson Bass

Poll closed Nov 10, 2003.
  1. EB1

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. EB0

7 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. EB2

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. EB3

15 vote(s)
    11.2%
  5. Thunderbird

52 vote(s)
    38.8%
  6. Ripper

19 vote(s)
    14.2%
  7. Grabber

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  8. G-3

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  9. Les Paul Signature

8 vote(s)
    6.0%
  10. RD Artist

9 vote(s)
    6.7%
  11. Victory Artist

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  12. Les Paul (modern versions)

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  13. other

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Thunderbird! FB_IMG_1535368442136.jpg

JIO, kirillstokes, Rezdog and 4 others like this.
  2. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

I have a 2008 SG Standard and a 2011 Les Paul Standard that I both enjoy...but I really want a Ripper

3. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Love some Gibby basses. Dig a T-bird for sure. Used to have a Victory bass. Like a lot of the various EBs.

My personal fave is the G3. Not only is it tough looking as hell, but it's one of the few Gibson basses with a bolt on neck.

I only play passive bolt ons. One reason why I didn't go with the RD which is totally hot otherwise.

TobyTheBass likes this.
  4. I've always liked the way the Victory artist looked - never have played one.

Rezdog likes this.
  5. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Grabber!
    IMG_20180705_214609.jpg

6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I can’t abide a neck diver, which rules out most T-Birds, plus the inherent design flaw of short grain at the headstock, common to most Gibson guitars and basses, always turned me off. The only Gibson bass I ever played and really liked was the Victory bass.

7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

They started adding a volute to their necks in the 70s that severly reduced the likelihood of heads getting broken.

Either way I’ll take an angled headstock over a string tree any day.

ajkula66 likes this.
  8. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    Hooray for Zombie Threads!!

IMHO: The twin pickup Victory was an awesome bass for funk, jazz, Top-40, and all around variety....too bad it weighed three tons

The modern EB is a great bass. The newer one is prettier and great but I think the older Gumby-looking one was better

I never cared for Thunderbirds but I can see why rock guys like them

I dont play with a pick except in the studio when called for: One of my favorite pick bass sounds is the G.3 with fresh roundwounds...I think its phenomenal, on par with a picked P-bass with fresh roundwounds through a quality tube amp system (See that, you P-bass cultists? I told ya Im not a hater :D ;) )

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    bobyoung53 and ajkula66 like this.
  9. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    + 1 right here. They sound and feel are nothing like the Gibbys of yesteryear - which may be good or bad depending on one's point of view - but I am in genuine awe of the sonic variety that my 2013 EB5 provides, and they are pretty tough to beat as a value proposition on the current secondhand market.

My $0.02 only...

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  11. TobyTheBass

TobyTheBass

Feb 5, 2017
    I love that the G-3's unique 3 single coil configuration can get close to the bright sounds of an active bass.

ajkula66 and SpazzTheBassist like this.
  12. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    Im actually surprised that the Explorer didnt show up in the poll or gets hardly any mentions.....I personally think they sound really good (sometimes almost like a T-bird, sometimes brighter with a more J-ish thing, depending on model/year/pickup config).....Ironically, the ones from the 80s with those 80s pickups are very useable in a variety of styles (including funk and jazz) even though the thing looks and says Rock

13. Ebofan

Ebofan

Nov 24, 2018
    Hi,looking for an Eb3L slotted headstock template or any dimensions for a new build.

14. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Probably the best sounding and playing Gibson I've owned...

These pics were taken when I first got the bass. The previous owner never properly set the string spacing on the Schaller/Gibson bridge. That has since been rectified..
    IMG_20181104_212626__01.jpg IMG_20181104_212558__01.jpg IMG_20181104_212618__01.jpg

JIO likes this.
  15. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    Im surprised the SG did not appear in the poll! Im bias because I have one and love it, aside from that, the Sg should be listed as one of the greatest Gibson basses on legacy alone?

16. Ukko

Ukko

May 28, 2007
    When that poll was taken, the SG bass hadn't been introduced yet.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  17. I've got a 1965 EB-3 which I modified slightly, I bought a new harness with a different choke and the diode (Jack Bruce) mod in it but was never able to get it to work correctly so I unhooked the stock choke and put the choke from this harness in instead and pos 3 (both pickups) sounds great now, lot of controllable bottom. I also put some GHS pressure wound round wounds on it and it sounds great, clear with all kinds of bottom if you want it, actually sounds modern with these strings. I wish I still had the diode mod in it though, that really sounded cool.

18. What year did they first start making the SG bass? Google just keeps bringing me to EB-3 and EB-0 basses. Were they being made when this thread was first posted? (2002)

19. Personally, 'Gibson Bass' is an oxymoron, right up there with 'jumbo shrimp' and 'government intelligence', to borrow the two most-used examples. Lots of guys play them, love them, and sound great, I'm just not one of them.

Having said that, I owned two, from my beginners days: An RD Artist (too heavy, something I never complain about, but it was an anvil) and a Ripper. Tried my best to like a Thunderbird, but the neck dive was beyond aggravating. Even then I wouldn't touch an EB with a ten-foot pole.

To me, the Ripper was the closest they came to a real everyday bass that worked (manageable weight, a body shape and neck that worked, and the Bill Lawrence designed pickup system was useable), and an updated version using those PBass in a humbucking shell EMG's they used in the original Steinbergers would be a real choice. Of course, that will never happen.

The Henry-era Gibson acquired and then relegated the original Tobias planform and Steinberger to bargain-bin status (if that . . . . . ) and the latter day EB doesn't hit me. We shall see if the new wunderkinds in charge of 'American Made, World Played' gain some insight along the lines of 'hey, those Jack Cassidy's sell like hotcakes, what else might we revive and make a success?' We shall have to see . . . . .

20. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Maybe 2006:
    Gibson SG Reissue Bass Guitar >> FlyGuitars

That legacy is really the [essentially identical looking] EB-3’s, so people who want to show their support for their SG bass can just use that in the poll, I’d say

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021