Greatest Gibson Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rob W, Apr 14, 2002.

Greatest Gibson Bass

Poll closed Nov 10, 2003.
  1. EB1

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. EB0

7 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. EB2

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. EB3

15 vote(s)
    11.2%
  5. Thunderbird

52 vote(s)
    38.8%
  6. Ripper

19 vote(s)
    14.2%
  7. Grabber

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  8. G-3

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  9. Les Paul Signature

8 vote(s)
    6.0%
  10. RD Artist

9 vote(s)
    6.7%
  11. Victory Artist

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  12. Les Paul (modern versions)

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  13. other

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. Some people were wondering why the SG bass wasn't included in the poll, they weren't being made in 2002 evidently. To me they're different animals different pickups and controls. I've never tried an SG bass though, will they cause earthquakes and level a small city like an EB-3 will?

2. Ukko

Ukko

May 28, 2007
    Could be. I may have seen a 2005 for sale, but no earlier than that.

The poll closed in 2003 so it's a little too late for that. :)

JIO likes this.
  3. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    16 years ago since this thread started and 15 since the pole ended - Thunderbird Club - 4893 pages and counting... :bassist: time to put this dead thread to bed ;)

4. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Well, we’ll have to try and meet in the middle with our imaginations as I’ve never played a real Gibson EB-3! I think the general consensus is that the SG bass captures a lot of the sound of the EB-3, but without the wildness.

Specifically, the TB+ neck humbucker on the SG bass is quite bassy, definitely deeper than a P bass, and without a lot of detail and no high end sparkle. Accordingly, it covers Mudbucker-like territory, perhaps especially for those of us who aren’t playing through tube amps. The TB+ is moderate output, not the 30 ohms of the mighty Mudbucker, so tubes aren’t pummeled and small cities are still left standing (whew!).

Since a Mudbucker would be a drop in replacement, imo the pickup difference doesn’t in and of itself leave an SG Bass as so different, but then the Variatone, the tone/volume controls and I think in some cases the bridge, would require at least minor surgery, so i guess the differences do start to add up. Depends on if you used the Variatone and incorporated the possibilities of the four separate tone/volume knobs, I guess. I’m more than fine with a master tone and was never into Variatones, so I don’t feel like the SG bass is leaving me short there, but that’s just me. On the other hand, I can’t say I’m in love with the TB+ neck pickup, though it does sound appropriately dark and deep

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    bobyoung53 likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021