Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Greatest NFL Players of All Time

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cassanova, Apr 8, 2003.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ive been curious to know who you think is the greatest NFL player of all time at their respective position.

The positions are as follows:

QB = Joe Montana
    RB = Walter Payton
    FB = John Riggins
    WR = Jerry Rice
    TE = Mark Bavaro
    OT = Jumbo Elliot
    DT = Mean Joe Green
    LB = Jack Lambert
    OLB = Lawrence Taylor
    CB = Darrell Green
    S = Ronnie Lott

2. QB - Steve Young
    RB - Jim Brown/Barry Sanders
    WR - Jerry Rice/Steve Largent
    TE - Ozzie Newsome
    OT - Anthony Muñoz
    DT - Alan Page
    LB - Dick Butkus
    OLB - Lawrence Taylor/Derrick Thomas
    CB - Darrell Green
    S - Ronnie Lott

I would imagine that most people could agree that the level of play in the NFL has improved substantially over the past 30 years, although it's probably dropped off a bit with today's rapid player turnover killing team cohesion.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    True, the level has changed. So have the attitudes.

I doubt a guy like Conrad Dobler would fit in these days;)

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    SMASH!! You are my brother! thank you for posting the perfect list...now i don't have to! Any FullBack that can go to VietNam, get hit by a land mine and still come back to play MUST be the best!

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Emmitt Smith's a great Running Back, and the "Rings" that Barry Sanders (God love him) doesn't have..

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    QB: Johnny Unitas (The man called his own plays)
    RB: Jim Brown
    RB: Gale Sayers / Emmitt Smith
    FB: John Riggins
    WR: Steve Largent
    WR: Lance Allworth
    TE: Tony Gonzalez
    OL: ???
    DL: Joe Green
    LB: Lawrence Taylor / Mike Singeltary / Butkus
    CB: Nighttrane Lane
    CB: Darrell Green
    S: Ronnie Lott

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Honorable mention to Ryan Leaf.

8. I have only two opinions on football:

1 the broncos should win

2 the raiders should all burn in hell

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Thats why this is all just your opinion, But you are right, the level has changed.

LMAO

I like the Johnny U pick though. He definatly made the position what it is today.

10. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    everyone always forgets about former Redskin Art Monk. (nephew of Thelonius!)

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I won't call him "greatest" because, like comparing fine basses/amps, when you get to a certain level of excellence, they're just "different."

But when I played ball at DT, Bob Lilly, Hall of Fame DT for the Cowboys was my model - he was all about quickness and speed at 255 lbs. But at the beginning of every game, he would bust up blockers for the first few plays just to let them know he could play that game, too.

Football is a cyclical game, especially when it comes to player size preferences. I think coaches are seeing through the severe limitations of DT pigs like the Fridge or Siragusa, (what a joke! That guy's idea of "lateral movement" was getting his fat ass to fit on a chair). Today's defensive ends are speed merchants and I think it's only a matter of time till the Bob Lilly-types come back at DT.....guys who were on the QB like white on rice and were in a running backs' faces as soon as they got the hand-offs.

12. There's a reason Monk isn't in the Hall: he generally only caught 8 yard outs. Didn't take much, just run to the sideline and hope he was there.

13. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Didn't take much? Lets see you get out there and get two superbowl rings!!?!? :D

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Art Monk definitely deserves mention with Largent and Rice. Behind them, but not by much. Remember, for much of his career he was partnered with Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders, two excellent WRs in their own right. When you have a receiving corps like that you spread the field. I wonder how much better he would have done had he been mated with lesser mortals. Clark is a borderline hall of famer himself.

15. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Beautiful!!

Lest we forget the only Superbowl QB who could'nt throw a spiral...Jim Plunkett...now theres guts...meanest player...Jack Tatum...purest talent though,and with all those crappy Bills teams,despite everything....OJ!!!watch some of those highlight reels!man,could he run!!!

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    WR 1 - Rice. Backup - John Jefferson
    WR2 - Swann. Backup - Fred Belitnikoff. This sucks because I loved Stallworth, Irvin, Lofton, Largeant, Carmichael and Allworth!
    FB - Blier C'mon, the guy was wounded in 'Nam! I'd have Riggo on the team too!
    CB - Lester Hayes. Backup - Everson Walls
    RB - Sweetness! Backup - Juice.
    QB - Montana. Backup - Fouts
    OLB - LT
    SS - Lott. Backup - Kenneth Easley.
    LB - Lambert
    OT - Munoz!
    Coach - Jimmy Johnson
    Stadium - Lambeau Field
    Fans - The Dog Pound. The Browns went 5-11 one year, and they still sold out EVERY game!

17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

One thing about Monk, though --- he was pretty nasty to tackle and often picked up a lot of yards after the catch.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Well, I disagree. You have to do all that, be reasonably open, and also make the catch when it's thrown. The good ones like Monk could do that even if they aren't open. Monk also knew exactly where the first down marker was at all times.

The glamour guys that run fast and catch bombs get all the glory. But they couldn't do that without the grunts who do the dirty work. Otherwise, the glamour guys would just be doubled deep.