Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

greatly annoyed- gig story

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by olps, Apr 23, 2002.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    The string ensemble I'm in was playing at a festival. They had an adjudicator, and were marking us. Thee was only one other ensemble in our category, we'd heard they were pretty good. So we go up first, we played the Capriol suite by Warlock, we played great, few mistakes, some sections were a bit off in a place or two. So we finish up, and the adjudicator has ONE thing good to say, thats it! So we realise we've pretty much lost. So the 2nd group goes up. They play a CONCERTO!!! they had all there star players solo, while they hid thier awful ones. There soloists CARRIED the piece! It was NOT an ensemble piece. They won... and the adjudicator went on about how well they'd played. By the end he finally told us we lost (as if we hadn't figured it out). If we had played a concerto we would have beaten them no doubt, we have some amazing players. I was just really angry and annoyed. What are your views on this?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My view is that music is not a competition.

My kids are in music programs that include attending festivals where grades are given out (gold, silver and bronze like the Olympics). I personally find the competition aspect distateful. It's one thing to have competition in an audition process, but this sort of thing strikes me as counterproductive for all but the winners.

Any educator types in here have any comments?

3. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    It wasn't supposed to be that competitive. The adjudicators were supposed to give tips and help out with "constructive critisism", and give you a mark. In this case it was disstasteful. We all went home feeling awful, except for the winners of course.

4. Sorry to sound corny, but it doesn't matter who took home the medal or ribbon, this makes you a winner.

5. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    One thing you might be over looking is the politics of what went on. Your group could very well whipped the other group but if the judges are pals with the conductor or some player your tost. I see this stuff all the time in most contest environments. Here is an example: My wife is a speech and art teacher from a relative small school last year her speach team had a chance to go to the state speach contest. In the last round befor the state matches a judge disqualified her school because it was not as big an the school her team just whipped. So, she gathered the whole team up and went home. Then at 5 pm the contest administrator started calling and saying the judge was wrong and could she bring the team back right away to go to the next round. Too little too late.

I hate this kind of stuff and it is everywhere. Maby even more so in music.

Joe

6. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
  7. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Thanks, I can't spell for dog doo. Thanks to good public education in the 50's. It was real interesting doing the Masters thing with my spelling.

Joe

8. i hate competition stuff. i did it once when i was younger, never again though! too many horror stories from friends.
    i think theres a different one here now though that our schools enter that doesnt judge, it gives you advice and ranks your group by itself, but not against others. i hear its very good. they also have a concert for each of the school groups every night for a week.

peace,
    steve