1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Greco «Matsumoku made in japan» 70’s(?) P-bass identification help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ringerude, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Ringerude

Ringerude

Jun 11, 2018
    So I recently bought this 5 kg all maple mojomachine from Japan, and the sound and looks are great. It was listed as a «70’s greco», but nothing more. By the sound, look and feel it’s definately old. I can’t seem to find any serial number on the visible parts of the bass, so without opening up - does anyone know anything about this bass, or relevant information about Greco basses in the 70’s?

I added some photos, if they’re to any help.
    Much appriciated!

Attached Files:

Bass V likes this.
  2. dakink

dakink

Aug 31, 2009
    Milwaukee area
    Nice bass. Bet it's a great player.

I've always wanted a Greco, so recently bought one myself. Mine has a serial number and is not marked Matsumoku, so mine is a Fuji-Gen (and 1977 by the serial). I think yours is earlier – maybe mid-'70s? Hard to tell from the photos. And was the pickguard replaced on yours (no holes for the pickup cover)?

Not much info on Greco basses around here, but this thread might help:

What is the deal with Greco Basses from Japan?

3. dakink

dakink

Aug 31, 2009
    Milwaukee area
    Oh, and by the way, welcome to Talkbass!

4. Ringerude

Ringerude

Jun 11, 2018
    Hey, thanks a lot! :) The previous owner used to have a bridge cover (drill holes next to bridge), so judging by that modification it would not be unlikely to think the pickguard is replaced aswell.