Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Greco Basses - Gibson & Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thornton Davis, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Anyone own a Greco bass? I recently bought a 89 Greco Thunderbird IV clone (I imported it from Japan) and it is outstanding!
    I see that there is a Rickenbacker 4001 clone available on ebay right now which is almost identical to a real 4001. I personally already own a 1973 Rickenbacker 4001, so i'm not interested in buying this particular bass, but!
    If you are thinking of buying a 4001 or in the market for one but can't afford a RIC, this is the next best thing to the original. Check it out before it's to late.
    Here's a picture of my Greco Thunderbird IV (TB-1100) and a link to the Greco 4001 clone for anyone that might be interested.
    Generally, Greco's are only available in Japan but the occasionally one finds it's way over here every now and then.
    Let me know if you've currently own one or have owned one in the past.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2558360321&category=4713

[​IMG]

2. lorbas

lorbas Supporting Member

May 11, 2002
    Kamen, Germany
    I played a Greco Flying-V-Bass once, and it was really great. Solidly build and great tone...

3. what a steal, I want one!

mind putting soundclips?

4. lorbas

lorbas Supporting Member

May 11, 2002
    Kamen, Germany
    sorry, wasn't my Greco actually...so no soundclips. and it was yeaaaaars ago.

5. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Bassman,

Simply bring your Greco T-Bird copy and compare it to my Gibson Thunderbird 1976 Bicentennial Bass... You will see, hear and feel the difference !!!

For me a copy is only... a copy. IMHO.

6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Turlu, you know that I have owned 2 Gibson 76 Thunderbird IV's recently. You also know that I know vintage basses.

These Greco TB-1100's (this one is a 1989) are simply outstanding in every sence of the word!! From the quality of hardware used to the fit and finish of the instrument. But most importantly sound wise, this bass sounds every bit identical to our Gibson 76 T-Birds.

In fact this is a true copy of the original 64 Thunderbird IV. The pickup placement is identical to the 64. The Greco uses the same tailpiece and separate three point bridge as the 64 does.

Know wonder Gibson, Rickenbacker and Fender jumped all over the Greco Guitar company and filed a law suit against them when they saw and heard these baby's.
    They sold at the time for a fraction of the price of a Gibson.
    If I hadn't seen and heard this bass for myself, I wouldn't have believed they are so amazing. I too had doubts before getting my hands on this outstanding instrument.

From what i've seen of the Rickenbacker 4001 Greco copy, they too are outstanding in every way.
    If you want specific details, drop me a email and i'll do the direct comparison thing for you.
    In the meantime, here's a close shot of the body.

Cheers,

PS - It's ok to drool.

[​IMG]

7. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Bassman,

I agree with you my friend that the Greco copy T-Bird is wonderful, especially, the body and neck, which seem quite familiar !

How come Greco and all those companies never came up with their own model, if they are that good ???

Have a closer look at my T-Bird 1976 and compare !!!

I would be curious to hear them and really compare with my T-Bird.:)