1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Greco PB 1978

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paseppa, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Paseppa

Paseppa

Jul 5, 2020
    Hi there
    I just registered myself on the website but I follow it since years, such a gold mine of Infos! Really helpful
    That's why I decided to ask you guys an opinion. I never owned any precision bass, and I feel it's time to get one! But I have the impression that old basses have a different vibe, it looks like the sound of a vintage p bass is more rounded, woody and kind of self compressed. I don't know how to explain it, sorry for my bad English :cool:
    That's why I was thinking to get one of the old ones. But I can't really afford a vintage fender.
    So question is, I have the chance to get a Greco PB from 1978, not sure what model is, not even the owner knows. But he said his luthier checked the bass, the trus rod works the frets are still OK and doesn't really have problems . He says it has a good playability. The price is 580
    Do you think it is a good choice if I want to have that vintage precision sound?
    I post the Pics of the bass
    Thanks downloadfile-8.jpg downloadfile-7.jpg downloadfile-6.jpg downloadfile-5.jpg downloadfile-4.jpg downloadfile-3.jpg downloadfile-2.jpg downloadfile-1.jpg

2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Greco basses are rightfully gaining respect, in US dollars $580 isn't an unrealistic price.
    that 'sound' can be had for far cheaper but I'd be tempted if this was selling near me.

3. Agreed a nice looking bass :thumbsup:.

4. Paseppa

Paseppa

Jul 5, 2020
    Oh sorry guys, it is 580 euro, I'm in Berlin.
    The seller lives somewhere else in Germany, so I can't check it, just have to trust him and whoever ever owned one of this and can tell me something about the bass

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Greco = Ibanez

Their 70s copy basses are considered to be very good, some feel superior to Fenders of the same era. Is 580EU significantly cheaper than actual Fender or Squier options?

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  6. Paseppa

Paseppa

Jul 5, 2020
    It is cheaper than a fender, more or less same price of a squire. But I had a Jazz vm squire before, and I still have the impression that on the old ones you can really feel the build quality in your hands and feel more the bass. But I don't know, since I never had any of this Greco in my hands

7. Paseppa

Paseppa

Jul 5, 2020
    Ok I spent the last five minutes shaving and thinking. I'm probably very romantic, and I really feel I would like to have an original p bass from the 70s. Everybody deserves one, doesn't he?
    So if the Greco is the cheaper alternative to a fender for quality and sound, that could be the one

Roxbororob and PennyroyalWe like this.
  8. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Did you ask about the weight of the bass? I don't know if weight is a consideration for you but some of those Greco basses are really heavy.

Bajo Clarkko likes this.
  9. Welcome to Talkbass Paseppa!
    As the proud owner of a 78 P, I can tell you, it dang sure looks like a 78 P.
    Ibanez must have been copying pretty close to original then.
    If the necks ok the price dosen't seem too far-out.
    Why not try offering 500 and see if he bites?

Obese Chess and PennyroyalWe like this.
  10. Paseppa

Paseppa

Jul 5, 2020
    Hey Pdaddy! He's outside for the weekend, he said we can talk again about the bass when he's back. He says he can send me more pics if I need. Do you think I should ask for some particular ones? Then of course I'll ask for a price reduction and see if it works out
    I never saw any of this Greco in real life but from videos and pics it really gives me the impression of solidity and good quality. Just hope it will sound as I expect

Pdaddy1978 and PennyroyalWe like this.
  11. teh-slb

teh-slb

Sep 21, 2018
    Berlin
    I paid 600 Euro for an early 80s Greco P in 2016 (and in Berlin, funnily enough), which was perhaps a bit steep. The owner swapped out the pickup for a Fender Vintage one and I do like it more than the stock one. I personally prefer my Fender AVRI P over it, but the Greco still gets playing time. I think that it doesn't have an unreasonable "vintage" sound.

Nice 70s P Basses can be had for a "reasonable" price in Germany (under 2000 Euro), but one has to be on the lookout as you probably know that the quality can be rather hit and miss. Since this would be an addition to your stable (I'm guessing your main player is something else), waiting and saving up for a 70s Precision might be worth it, if, of course, you consider a 70s P to be a "vintage" instrument. Alternatively, if waiting even longer and saving up is an option, the Custom Shop will make whatever you tell them to, which might perhaps be a better option than a vintage piece of gear if you're looking for a reliable player.

Hmm, I feel that I wrote too much without saying anything. In short: I don't have regrets over buying a Greco P, but that hasn't quenched my thirst for a "vintage" P bass. Try before you buy, though, if you can. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    JRA likes this.
  12. Just did a quick search on Reverb. It turns out that the asking price for vintage Greco's is quite high. Are they worth it? That depends on the particular instrument, I'd say. And on the question whether you are prepared to 'lose' a bit in case you decide to sell it (Greco's do not sell quickly here in the Netherlands, judging from how long they are listed on our yellow pages. Somehow, Greco has not (yet) the same 'appeal' here as, for instance, Tokai.)

13. Paseppa

Paseppa

Jul 5, 2020
    Thanks for the infos
    I would probably invest on a fender but I'm not in that kind of situation at the moment, financially speaking... It will take me few months and I have the thirst for that sound. I'm not even sure I would spend 2000 euro for a Fender just because it is a Fender if a Greco could be comparable. Even if your isn't apparently... And yes I could go with some Fender or Squier reissue but since I never had a real vintage instruments, that I think it's kind of inspiring for the same fact that it's a 40 years old instrument, that would be cool having something that sounds good for a reasonable price. So please someone tell me it is a great bass

teh-slb likes this.
  14. Paseppa

Paseppa

Jul 5, 2020
    Nekomata... We'll find out :D

Nekomata likes this.
  15. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Early Greco is pretty good.

this one appears to be a mid range model, it may have a stamp in the neck pocket. It has solid wood for the body; it’s not ply or pancaked, but it still has a two-piece neck in that there is an ‘ear’ glued on to make width for the logo, well plus the fretboard so 3 piece. That’s really only cosmetic I’ve had some of these that were just amazing sounding basses. If I found one again I wouldn’t flip it.
    The highest end models have a single piece neck, and may have better matched or fewer pieces of wood in the body. These are the most desirable models and the ones that attracted Fenders business. They’re also more expensive obviously.

I’m not allowed to help on fair pricing :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  16. Greco was good enough for Fender to buy them, and a lot of the transition basses in the early days of the post-CBS new ownership were made in what were the Greco facilities. As always, if you like it and the price seems fair, go for it, certainly far cheaper than a Fender of that vintage. As to whether it's vintage-sounding, well that's up to you.

17. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Agreed that it's not the top of the Greco line, but it certainly looks the part. Buying a bass untested is always a risk, but the condition looks good.

I'd want to know about the truss rod, and the condition of the neck.
    I'd also probably offer 500.

18. Paseppa

Paseppa

Jul 5, 2020

19. Paseppa

Paseppa

Jul 5, 2020
    The seller said truss rod works ok, but I'll ask more in the next days

wraub likes this.
  20. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Definitely confirm that it's working in both directions.

That bass looks a bit like my '83 MIJ Squier P Bass... Being also MIJ, the one you are looking at is probably Sen wood, a Japanese wood which looks a lot like the ash Fender used. Not the same as Japanese Ash.
    My Squier is Sen also.

imabuddha likes this.