1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Greco Rickenbacker pup replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by orichtvuna, Aug 1, 2020 at 9:29 AM.

1. orichtvuna

orichtvuna

Jun 18, 2016
    Thailand
    Hi, my Greco RB700 has been through 36 years of monstrous tone in the jungles of Thailand and the bridge pickup has fairly abruptly degaused. I've got a pretty great tech and we've come to the conclusion that the thing to do is to replace the pickups, ideally with real Rick pups.
    My question is, what pickups have what sonic qualities in regards to vintage and type? Hi-gain vs toaster? Best years? Modern choices? What's good, and why? Also, I was considering trying something a bit more experimental, as long as it's not a jazz pup in the bridge, since the bass is a bit more out there. Any cool ideas?

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Put a Strat pickup in there. Seriously. I have seen and heard the results and they were good ones. Don' say it won't work because the Strat PU has six, count 'em, six, I say, magnets in it. It WORKS.

3. orichtvuna

orichtvuna

Jun 18, 2016
    Thailand
    I didn't mention it because it wasn' t really relevant but I've done it already. I mean, it's a télé pickup, but still. Threw it in the bridge last year, sounds great, got a sweet 8 way wiring set-up going with incredible choices. Can't recommend it enough.
    Not what I was asking though. Great spirit nonetheless.

4. orichtvuna

orichtvuna

Jun 18, 2016
    Thailand
    To clarify, I mean literally IN the bridge. Kind of changes the meaning of bridge pickup as pertains to the rickenbacker design, but still. I want Mmmmoooorrrreee experimental, if we're going that way. Unless, by god, you mean literally putting a strat pickup in the standard bridge cavity of a rickenbacker bass... Interesting if shocking.

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Yes, that. There was a guy around here years ago who did that and it really sounded great.

6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    A Rick toaster pickup is a 6-pole alnico magnet guitar pickup inside the case, and I can attest that it sounds fantastic in the neck position at least. I personally like a punchier bridge/middle pickup, so would probably get an actual Rickenbacker or Classic Amplification Hi-Gain pickup for that position. A neck jazz bass pickup works well too though (neck because the string spacing is tighter than on a Jazz bass). The Rick HB-1 is also a good choice, and you can add a coil switch for single coil/parallel/series operation