Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Greco (vintage Fender Jazz replica)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Azzie Li, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Azzie Li

Azzie Li

Dec 26, 2003
    I've tried finding out about my bass a while ago on this forum...but no response. It is hard to find out about...there's such little resources on it. Anyways, it looks very similar to the Geddy Lee signature model. The model is called "Spacy Sound" brazen picker professional. The serial starts with G81...so I'm kinda assuming that that was the year it was made. Though I may be wrong. It has the black block inlays and 20 frets. Looks very 70's but definitely couldn't have been made past '82...they stopped replicating Fender at this point. Any info out there? Or atleast advice on how to find out more? I know a lot of their basses are highly appraised now.

2. Azzie Li

Azzie Li

Dec 26, 2003

Geeze Treena...you are all over this forum! Yeah, I already saw that sight. I guess the only thing is to try to contact some Vintage Fender aficionados, perhaps Ibanez would have info...or an account of Greco basses made around this time. I'd really like to get it appraised and set it up the way it looked back then. It seems kinda hybrid...a combo of many vintage Fenders. Looks like the pick guard only had 9 screws and there is evidence of there being a cover over the neck pickup...but not the bridge. The bridge has a traditional mid to late 70's saddle, uncovered. Maybe they can tell me which one mine was made after. I'm going to take it around local shops over here (SF)...maybe an experienced luthier would have come across something like it. Know any good ones over here? Thanks for your input!

3. Yes, I tend to get around.

Hey, do you ever get down to San Jose? I know a great luthier that works out of GC, K and K Music and Guitar Show Case, his name is Chuck. He is the man to see.

I would love to see some photos if you get a chance!

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Here's a link that will talke you to the Japanese version of the Greco Mania website.

http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/tomkiti/top.htm

Once you are there, click on the 2nd vertical pink icon on the left of the page. Then scroll down. You will find approximately 15 Greco catalogues covering most of their product offerings from the late 70's to late 80's.
    If you click on each catalog, it will open up to a larger screen version.

Enjoy.

Cheers
    JC

PS - I know of this site because I own a 89 Greco TB-1100 lawsuit bass (64 Thunderbird IV clone). This bass is outstanding in everyway. Especially in quality and overall fit and finish. No wonder Gibson, Fender and Rickenbacker jumped all over Greco with a cease and desist order or face the consenquences when they saw what Greco was producing.

5. Azzie Li

Azzie Li

Dec 26, 2003

Thanks JC! I found mine right away...vol 12 super real series. now all I need is a translator...he he he!

6. Azzie Li

Azzie Li

Dec 26, 2003
    The link that bassman provided shows my bass in volume 12 the super real series, it's the JB500 spacy sound, but it's not in sunburst, it's black with white pickboard. I can't wait until I find someone who can translate the info...can you read Japanese? he he he. Yeah, 408 is kinda far for me, don't have a car. I'm going take my chances on Precision Fretwork in the city. Thanks again for your feeback!

-Lisa

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Glad to have been of help.
    Regards,
    JC