Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Greek Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mac_the_sac, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Anyone know anything interesting about Greek Music. Im doing a project on it and I'm having a problem finding information. If anyone could even just direct me to a webiste that would be awesome, Thanks.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have been on holiday to Greece many times and the traditional music fascinated me - so, each dance seemed to have its own time signature and of course there is the famous "speeding up" - like in Zorba the Greek - but basically every piece I heard had, some musical interest.

However, it is an oral tradition - passed on from generation to generation and played/danced, by word of mouth. It's not written down and most of those who play it or dance it, move around and enetertain where they go - they don't stay in one place and the last thing they are likely to do is to go on eth internet and explain it!! ;)

There is music in the Cities - but my impression is that it was very "Westernised" or basically whatever was in the charts in every other European city. The real,authentic Greek music only lives in the performing tradition and you have to go there to hear it!

But you could try looking up :

Vangelis
    Xenakis

...on Google......?

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Naturally my first thought when I spied this thread title was "geek music, finally something I can contribute to!"

but, it wasn't meant to be.

I know nothing about Greek music, but I love feta cheese.

4. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    mmm...gyros :)

5. Bruce Lindfield

I like all Greek Food and once I found a supermarket that actually imported real Greek Yoghurt and Honey, I was hooked and always go there!!

I like :

Spanokopita
    Fried Saganaki
    Stifado
    Kleftiko
    Moussaka

etc. etc.

I have just booked a walking holiday in Halkidiki for September...:)

Here's a photo from the brochure :

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    There is a pretty good greek restaurant in boston, though I can't say how authentic it is. I visited greece a long time ago, and don't remember much about it. My brother goes to the island of Corfu quite regularly.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have never been disappointed in a Greek-owned restaurant. Something I have noticed, though-
    While they pile on the food...they are very conservative about napkins & condiments, in general.
    I already knew this & yet, one time, I was totally set up. I'm making my then-weekly appearance at our best record shop(Mom & Pop variety)...one of the sons that runs the place asks me to pick up a Greek salad at the neighboring restaurant-
    "...and ask for extra napkins & an extra fork".
    (He & his only employee are gonna share).

Long story short-
    I got the goods but not without a LOUD butt-chewing by, I assume, the owner of Jimmy's reatuarant.
    The 2 idiots at the record store are already laughing as I walk back into their place.

Anyway-
    Greek music?
    Bass Player once did a feature on this subject(at least 5 years ago).
    Multiple time signatures abound...9/8 to 5/8 to 8/8 back to 9/8 for 2 bars then 6/8 for awhile, etc.

Good luck. With any ethnic-based music, there is a steep learning curve for those of us in the West who were reared on the steady BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM of BTO's "Takin' Care Of Business".

;)

8. Bruce Lindfield

That's right - it all makes perfect sense when you see the dance steps that go with those time signatures - although no easier to play and dance!! ;)

On the food subject - in Greek Tavernas, there is always a standard of olive oil and local vinegar in bottles on the table - and they always give you locally-baked fresh bread, sometimes with butter, before ordering. Often they will give you a local aperitif as well - hospitality is prized above all else!!

I always miss this in English Restaurants, with much higher prices and standards - there's nothing as nice as fresh locally-baked bread - but they just don't do it!!