Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Green Day - American Idiot

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Microbass, Aug 5, 2004.

1. anyone heard the clips? personally I think it's pretty cool, Mike's presence is felt even tho from what I've heard he isnt doing too much.

the clips of the single American Idiot, the drums sound pretty cool, and I like how the guitar sounds. I'm really looking forward to this. :D

however, at least they aren't advertising thru' the TV (so.. far... :meh: ) 10-16 sec clips on the websites suck! should be at least 1 min clips, imo.

amazon.com has it for $18 and £14.90 - isnt not on sale, of course. Arr... I want.. Greeeen Daaaaay.

thoughts? :)

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Suchin Pak from MTV says it's great, :D but I would take that with a grain of salt.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I can't wait for that CD to come out. I still think 'Insomniac' was their best CD. Maybe this one will top it. Just maybe...

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

4. ive heard the sng a few times and gosh does it remind me why i love elsiten to green day. and i mst admit the guitar on american idiot i think is awesome.

5. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    They've got a whole stream of the song on the website, the bass sounds pretty good, guitar's got a great tone. Not an amazing song but a solid one, Green Day fans will probably like it.

6. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Yeah they're on the cover of the Guitar Center catalog instead.

Sounds a lot like new NOFX.

7. promoting to win a Mike D bass - so its not all bad ;)

just heard the stream, and you can download a radio rip - decent quality - from greenday.co.uk and as a biased fan, I can truly say this song ROCKS!!! :p :D

:hyper: :hyper:

8. I cannot WAIT for this album... I heard the single on the radio, a day or two before I think it was supposed to be released. Good stuff, and it's getting fairly heavy rotation now :)

The song "American Idiot" is fairly typical Green Day, which is enough for me to get excited about, but check these links out:

http://www.vh1.com/artists/news/1488704/06252004/green_day.jhtml

http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1488034/05282004/green_day.jhtml

Rock opera? 9-10 minute epic songs? "Jesus of Suburbia"?? Playing the entire album at some shows in addition to a regular set? I think I just polluted my britches in delight! :hyper: September 21 can't come soon enough.

Also, they're touring with New Found Glory and Sugarcult, which I'd say is a pretty good lineup. They'd better not skip Detroit...

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Y'know, I'm inclinded to agree. It didn't have the super catchy hooks of Dookie or Nimrod, but as an album, I thought it was by far their strongest. Stuart and the Avenue was a severly overlooked single oppertunity, in my opinion.

10. i agree, insomniac is a great album. there are many reasons why it was never as popular, though - BJ's son was born, they cancelled most of the EU tour becuase they were so tired and too much drug abuse, didnt do any HUGE shows like with dookie (ie woodstock) and advertising as i understand was limited.

westbound sign, and panic song are another few of my favourites that would have gone well with Stu and the Ave!, imo.

anyway, "everybody do the propaganda!" :cool:
    :bassist:

11. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I just got Madden 2005 and American Idiot is one of the songs that play during the games. I gotta say I really like what I've heard.

oh and by the way +1 on the "Insomsiac is their best album idea." I really like 86 and Walking Contradiction.

12. They haven't had a good album since Insomniac imo, so hopefully this won't be a pile, like warning.

13. imo, i think warning would've been better if BJ had a more-like tone to his guitar (i.e. using the strat).

castaway, minority, blood sex n booze and deadbeat holiday are awesome songs.
    warning sounds cool with a live strat, jackass and waiting would be.

and personally, i really enjoy macys day parade. :p

nimord had it's classics too, imo- the grouch, platypus, take back, nice guys, hitchin', and king for a day is just hilarious! :)

/biased GD fan

14. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love Green Day. One of my influences.

I think the new single's music is awesome. It rocks.

But honestly, I really expected to be more moved. Like, I hear lots of their other songs and I just want to start thrashing around destroying things (a very good thing). This just kinda reminds me of other songs. Yes, even a go-back or reminiscent to a lot of other songs we all love. But I really wished it achieved something more/different, as every new album/lead single should.

Don't get me wrong, the music and the musicianship rocks. But do I think it's genius? Umm... ehh. Then again I'm nobody so big whoop-dee-doo with what I think. They're going to make millions. So in that respect, I guess they are geniuses. :D

And btw, anyone else getting tired of practically everyone singing about practically the same thing within the last 2 years? Sorry, maybe it's just me.

:bag:

-T

15. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    Green day is one of my biggest influences and fav band and I uber-excited! When the news broke out about "American Idiot" and "Punk Rock Opera" I was thinking along the lines of "Uh-oh" and "Political" but I'm really likeing this! I even liked Misery from their Warning album. Or maybe it's my background.... ANYWAYS! Green Day is always gonna be Green Day and I like pretty much anything catchy and has a good sound. But I like their "old" sound and look. When I picture Green Day I see Billie with dyed hair on his Blue guitar, Mike on his Gibson Grabber, and Tre with long green hair. Probablly another reason why alot of people didnt like Warning (I liked it) was that Billie used a Gibson I think instead of his Blue. And his Blue is alot more heavier and gives GD that classic feel and that OOMPH! And IMO... Mike's Gibson sounds better then his Fender. ANYWAYS! I'm just rambling now...

So I like it and I almost peed when I heard it.

16. www.thenimrods.com

also have favorite son (from rock against bush) on their website. :p

i like misery, too, it's another classic Tre-style song (dominated lvoe slave.. rat does cheese..) :D

17. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Mike Dirnt's on the cover of this months Bass Player.