Green Day - American Idiot

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Justin V, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Ok. I just finished my first complete listening of the new Green Day CD. All I can say at this point is:

I love Green Day, but they're not suppossed to be this GOOD!!!

If nothing else, the harmonies and moments of what I can only call "Who-ness" add a whole new level to what these guys can do. I never really thought of Green Day as being able to do "epic" type stuff untill today when my ipod got to "Are We the Waiting/St. Jimmy".

So what're you guys' thoughts on it?
  2. Everywhere I go everyone tells me how awesome this cd is...I think I need to go buy it :D
  3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Yeah you do. Go get it! NOW!!! (passes out)
  4. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I like the album, but I kinda miss Mike's busy lines, I didn't notice any cool bass licks or fills. At first I was a bit disappointed because I expected the lyrics to be more zappa-esque (it was branded as a concept album and a rock opera, after all), but it's still a fun "punk rock opera" in its own right and some songs are almost frighteningly catchy.
  5. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I waited in excitement for weeks for that CD to come out. So yesterday, I went to Best Buy... sold out. So I head over to Future Shop... sold out. I gotta get this CD, I've heard so many good reviews of it. :cool:

Graeme :bassist:
  6. Yeah, I agree. The album is good and the songs are tight, but I miss those old Mike Dirnt bass lines that just leap out of the speakers. In his BP cover story last month, he said it was a conscious decision on his part to play less this time around. It definitely subtracts a bit from the equation. But it's good to hear them rocking again. Warning was a big disappointment to me.
  7. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    yeah totally

i couldnt get into warning at all, and i kinda fell outta favour with them for a while after that

this album is fernomenal

its not raw and crazy like kerplunk

but its such a great progression on from that

buy the album noooooooooooooow
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But I so did love that song "Misery."
  9. HRC Matt

HRC Matt

Aug 31, 2004
    Columbus, Ga
    it's not that good, green day never progresses in anyway
  10. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Really really good CD. One of the first things I noticed was the bass not standing out near as much, I coudn't even really hear Mike's fat tone that he usually has, and also the lack of fills and such.
    But either way, this CD is awsome. I was really impressed with it. Did anyone else get the Limited Edition CD? I got it at Tower for only $15.99 marked down from $25.99. It's the one where it's a book, with all the lyrics and pictures, and the CD's in the back...
    GREAT CD! *7/10*
  11. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Just got the CD today (finally!) and it is awesome! Wow, it's really really good. I too was disapointed with Mike's more simple lines, but either way it is a really good CD. I give it 8 outta 10. :cool:

Graeme :bassist:
  12. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    (my review after buying the CD on opening day and listining it for the first time)

After 4 years in the makeing and waiting.... IT'S FINALLY HERE! I got my copy today with a sprcial 50 page booklet. Now. When you think Green Day, you might think 'stupid punks that only play 3 chords.' American Idiot is their best-of-the-best so far. Lets put it like this... they're added the 4th chord. They've perfected the 2 minute song and moved on to perfecting the 9 minute song. Yes. Green Day did 2 Nine minute songs... both to prefection!
    You might not like 'punk' music but HAVE NO FEAR! They combine their older "dookie" days, their new-er sound, plenty of accoustic guitars, and just plain ole rock in general to give such a deep, good-sounding Green Day sound. If you heard American Idiot (their single) and didnt like it, no worries. IMO, American Idiot is their weakest song on the whole CD. Good... but not as good as the rest of the tracks.
    This CD is rock-opera-ish. It follows characters St. Jimmy, Jesus of Surburbia, and Whatshername through hard times in America. Many of the songs flow into eachother, but they can stane alone just as good. The best way to get the feel of American Idiot is sit down and listin to it front to back.
    My fav tracks are Holiday, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Letterbomb, Homecomming, Jesus of Suburbia, and Wake Me Up When September Ends. Even if you dont want to go get the CD, just listin to those soungs and you'll change your mind and get it. (SO PLEASE DO SO!)
    It's a bit political.... not Bush-Bashing, but it is political. Billie Joe's song writing has matured greatly. Some of their harmonies just sent chills down my spine! It's unbelieveable. Listin for yourself.
  13. Because you have progressed beyond all social boundaries.

Using a key to gouge explicatives on another's vehicle is a sign of trust, and friendship.

14. Some would say the Earth is our moon, but that would belittle the name of our moon, which is, the Moon.
  15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I heard the title track earlier today, and I must say it wasn't bad at all. Not a huge Green Day fan, but I would say it is one of their better written songs that I have heard, up to par with most musically and very catchy lyrically.
  16. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    I'm sure it's good, but I just got really tired of Billy's voice in 9th grade.