1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Green Day has finally .....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lizooki, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    completed their journey from garage punk band to full blown commercial pop band.

yuk The new album sounds like something Britney Spears would sing.

At least Mike Dirnt is playing a Ric.

2. casualmadness

casualmadness Man About Town Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Green Day hasn’t been a punk band in well over a decade. They were pop top 40 a long time ago.

3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Britney who?

4. Whassa "Madonna"?

jamro217, SactoBass and Spidey2112 like this.
  5. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Green Day guys are pushing 50 yrs old. Of course they are gonna mellow. Happens to all of us.

6203-Pushing-50-.jpg

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Time for another punk rock purity test.

file-20180928-48650-wuiayd.jpg

7. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    They do a pretty good job at what they are playing these days. It's not my thing but I'm getting old.

I think they are trying to be something more relevant to very young listeners.

Meaculpa and dkelley like this.
  8. jfh2112

jfh2112

Jun 18, 2013
    Brookhaven, MS
    People change over time, and so will their art.

Hazeyhaze, pcake, Nomogram and 9 others like this.
  9. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

Granted the album just dropped a week ago, but the title track has been available since Sep with a few other singles in Oct and later. I would argue that Green Day lost their punk status somewhere between 1998-2002, but definitely by 2009. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy some of what they've produced since then, I just wouldn't call it punk.

10. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I've only heard the single so far. It is very pop and produced. I didn't realize it was them. But a catchy song, and their lyrics are still biting.
    I might give it a spin.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  11. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

Some people have hardcore punk roots, jazz roots, gospel roots, or whatever, but end up making fun music that appeals to a wider audience. Screw them for making a comfortable living, right?

FWIW, I doubt anyone considered them more than slightly punk-ish, even after Kerplunk. So questioning the "pop-iness" of any album after Dookie is kind of, well, I dunno.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  12. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    I never thought they were anything other than a pop band.

13. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz "My arms are too short to box w/ God." J.R. Cash Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    As with RHCP it's hard to play convincing rebel rock when you're living the high life in Malibu sipping $20 frappuccinos and poo-pooing those peasant 9 to 5ers.

14. The Red Hot Chili Peppers aren't the same band they were back in 1984 either......

Punk... ??

15. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Butch Walker produced their new record, and his work definitely falls more on the pop side.

Adam Wright and dkelley like this.
  16. Nevada Pete

Nevada Pete Guest

Nov 22, 2016
    Wait! What's wrong with being a full blown commercial pop top 40 band? Seems like it would pay pretty good. If you could get the work.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  17. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I just listened to it... Whoa. I'd blame the producer, really. It's not that it's over produced, but the mix itself isn't great. The vocals are kinda buried behind all the hand claps, tambourine, and other percussive garbage. I just got done doing a mix with a ton of aux percussion and it's tempting to push a lot of that stuff to the front, but you do that at the cost of the focus of the song. This mix is sorely lacking focus.

18. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland
    Haven’t cared about GD since about 3 months after Dookie came out. Having said that, as long as they’re playing live (without tracks), any success they have surely will help “rock” music to stay alive. I’ll take it over the mountains of hip-hop, pop and pop-country any day!

19. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I'll bet they know who Van Halen is. I'll give them that.

knee_boarder, amper, Tommy V and 13 others like this.
  20. taliesin

taliesin

Nov 12, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    They were never punk.

thabassmon, amper, farace and 12 others like this.