Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Green Day or Bad Relegion?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Guss, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Im gonna buy a CD tomarrow. It will either be Bad Religions' "suffer", or the new Green Day album. Which one is more worth the cash do you think?

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Where are you buying them?

If it's one of the super-uber-mega-music stores, be aware of the irony of your purchase.

I don't see Suffer in stores that much, it's not rare, but nearly as ubiquitous as Green Day's albums. I would say go with that one.

Or whichever one's cheaper.

Though I guess you've already been to the store.

3. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Suffer! one of the best punk albums ever
    ~trav

4. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Definitely Suffer. Great album. It's a classic...

5. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Dear god man, if you ever buy Green Day over Bad Religion I am going to come over there and bitch slap you! :D

You should not only buy "Suffer", but "No Control", "Against the Grain", in fact all the albums up to and including "Grey Race" after that I would say purchase is less critical.

I bite my thumb at Green Day.

6. Screw all that- get Doggystyle II.

Back in the day, I traded away Fugazi's Steady Diet Of Nothing for Green Day's Kerplock or Kerplunk or Kerrang whatever it's called. I came out ahead.

Against the Grain is hella cool.

7. Bad Religion is my favorite band of all time, so I'd say go with Suffer.

Though unlike many hardcore Bad Religion fans, I'm not particularly a huge fan of Suffer. :eek: But that is mainly because I think No Control (which is in many ways similar) is 100 times better of an album.

But still, Suffer has some great songs.... "What can you do?" "Forbidden beat" and "How much is enough?" are classics.

8. Granted, "No Substance" and "A New America" aren't really good albums....but "The Process Of The Belief" and "The Empire Strikes First" are pretty darn good albums in their own right. It's just when you compare them to stuff like "Recipe For Hate" and "Generator" that they pale in comparison.

9. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Agreed, thats why I said "less critical".

Also, yes, I think No Control is better than Suffer, but Suffer is somewhat mandatory if you are going to get into BR, or for that matter "How Could Hell be Any Worse". I love Forbidden Beat.

If you are going to get any Green Day, go back about 10 years. They just got really annoying in my opinion, always found them to be catchy, but shallow, not really doin' it for me.

10. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I like both bands, but IMO its a no brainer, get "Suffer."

11. I got greenday. Im a huge greenday fan. I'll admit that part of the reason that i got it is because i have all their other albums....so what the hell? I would have gotten suffer if it had even been there :(

P.S. American Idiot is a wonderful album. much better than Warning was. Kinda reminds me of old greenday on some tracks. Remniscent of "insomniac"

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    like everyone else said, this is easy. suffer. or better yet 80-85.