1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Green Dolphin Street Bass Solo?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Leroy La Qua, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Leroy La Qua

Leroy La Qua

Nov 6, 2005
    Can anyone recommend a version of Green Dolphin Street with a good bass solo? I am looking to cop some soloing ideas for this tune?

Thanks

2. i like rufus reid's solo from the stan getz record serenity

3. Miles Davis' solo would be a good place to start.

4. Check out Sam Jones on Red Garland's Bright and Breezy. Nice long explorative solo. And you'll get a sense of why Red thought Sam made a good sub for PC.

Also, as I think David is getting at, don't feel like you can't take ideas from players of instruments other than bass. Miles had some pretty good ideas too, and his style would be much more transferable to bass than, say, a John Coltrane solo.

5. Miles had some pretty good ideas too." Yeah, pretty good:)

I've transcribed some Coltrane too. The only complete solo I have is Alabama, but there are others I have a chorus or two of-- Softly as in a morning sunrise, Chasin' the trane. There are several I can sing but haven't written down and don't play, and there's a bunch of little phrases and things that I lifted from the middle of dense passages. Even if can only sing something, the sound, or essence, of it has a way of finding its way into your playing in a way you can communicate it on the bass.

Don't rule out anything.

6. Check this one out by the late NHOP, on this CD by Benny Carter. Wow!

Carlo

7. Johnny StingRay

Johnny StingRay

Nov 24, 2006
    Carol Kaye has her transcription for Green Dolphin Street in her Jazz Improv for Bass book. It's really cheap to buy at her website www.carolkaye.com Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner or I'd just copy it and send it to you.
    Peace,
    Johnny

John F Hebert likes this.
  8. Leroy La Qua

Leroy La Qua

Nov 6, 2005
    Thanks for all the replies guys. :)

I have been told that Paul Chambers plays a great solo on Green Dolphin St on the Miles Davis album 'Miles in Sweden' unfortunately I can't seem to find a place where I can purchase this album or download an mp3 of the song. Anyone got any leads?

9. Theres some videos that have PC on them on youtube

10. TomSauter

TomSauter

Dec 22, 2004
    Kennesaw, GA
    I transcribed a really great solo by NHOP on Green Dolphin St. from Oscar Peterson in Russia. I'd be happy to send it to you if you want it.

11. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
  12. jonnyboy559

jonnyboy559

Mar 4, 2007