Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

green...i need help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by otisspunkmeyer, Mar 12, 2006.

1. otisspunkmeyer

otisspunkmeyer

Mar 12, 2006
    hey guys and gals. new to the whole thing. really would like to get started with the bass guitar but need help. looking for a good starter bass. any help?

2. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    its tough when your first starting out to judge what a "good" starter is. typically, on "lower level" cost basses, you will find that there is a vast difference between two of the "same" bass, right from the box. basically, i suggest, whatever you choose, to try out.

used mayb a good option, because of the fact that at least 30% of what you spend depreciates as soon as you buy that bass, and since you are a beginner, you will either a)continue playing for many years, and spending more and more money on "pgrading" your equipment situation, or b) quitting after a year. either way, this will give you something of higher quality and more value in the future.

also, look for a very versatile instrument. you never know what styles and techniques you will get into. fender is never a bad choice, nor ibanez, or washburn. peavey has been known to have some winners as well..

i started on an ibanez, and still have that ibanez, an sr400 from 2001, due to its great playbaility and from what i've seen, it out performs many things you'll find that cost 2-3 times its worth, in my opinion.

3. do a quick search in the talkbass forums, and bingo there you have a wealth of knowledge at your finger tips.
    no sarcasm intended.
    Otis spunkmeyer? Like the cookie?

4. otisspunkmeyer

otisspunkmeyer

Mar 12, 2006
    thanks man appreciae it. been wanting to play for so long. music is my life and just want to play it. thanks again. one more question for anyone, difference between 4-5 string?

5. +1 on Ibanez, and try-before-you-buy. Quality control is usually sub-par on entry level basses, so one bass may be a winner, and another of the same model is just bad.
    A question to you - Are you currently taking, or plan on taking lessons? Do you know any bass players? Since chances are you won't be able to tell what's good and what's not so good, I would suggest having your [soon-to-be] teacher or bass playing friends go to your local music store with you and have them try out some basses you're considering. They will most likely be able to see a lemon.

Peace, and welcome to TalkBass and bass playing!

Drake

6. I think the 4-5-6 and beyond strings question is too hot for this thread. A quick search will yield many heated debates on that. My input - start on a 4. I feel that it's simpler to play and learn than a 5+, but I can't say from experience. We only start once, eh?

7. otisspunkmeyer

otisspunkmeyer

Mar 12, 2006
    you got it. love those cookies

8. otisspunkmeyer

otisspunkmeyer

Mar 12, 2006
    i want to take lessons if it is somewhat affordable. no bass playing friends. do have a college teacher who playes bass. going to call and talk to him about it. thanks

9. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    4 is nice to start, especially if you are new to music in general. if you play'have played other instruments, then 5+ strings is fine, because you understand the theory and reasoning for having those extra strings. that being said, many a fine player lived and died with only four strings. its all preference.

to me, 6 and above is worthless. TO ME. and my playing style and comfort level. i do appreciate a good 5, and once i have enough money to own two GOOD basses simultaaneously, i will DEFINITELY be sure to own one (maybe a dingwall?) but it will be a high c, not a low b, adorning my instrument. i'm more of a chor man/tapper than i "needer of more lowend.", and that extra high for octaves and such is more of what i'm looking for, not inaudible/somewhat muddy (depending on the bass) lows.

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I suggest going with either SX or Ibanez. If you go with Ibanez, you can get a pretty good one on ebay for cheap - like I got a SR800 last week for 190 shipped because I used the BIN - and the seller didn't know the model number either, but a few questions asked and I had everything I needed to know :D

I don't suggest a 6 string, but a 5 string if you think you're up for it may save you the trouble of switching later. But then again, I've got small hands, so the only 5 I've tried is a beat up MIM Fender V which felt huge...considering I was used to Ibanez.

11. *flames with bass in sig*

To 'Otis' Definitely get that teacher to go to the store with you. Have him try out the exact bass you are going to buy, and plan on buying that day.

12. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i think the Ibanez GSR200 is a good starter bass. i got mine for $85 used.

13. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    just checked out your site drake. i'm liking some of those shapes. i also would LOVE to start building my own. no time though, or cash. maybe in the future...

i sespecially like the moderno shape. the others are ok. but the latest moderno with the increasing width center laminate is something nice.

14. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    That's ridiculous. I started on a GSR 200, went on to an SRX, and now I use an LB75. Are you stalking me?

+1 for Ibanez

15. You should see the new ones that I drew to scale on a template ;)