Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Green or Black for a tattoo

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 27, 2004.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Hello All

I need a littel advice, i am going to go today at 4 pm for my Celtic Cross tattoo and i a still wondering what color to get it in. The tattoo artist recommended i get it in black but most of the celtic crosses i have seen have been in green. what do you all think?. Thanks

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    kev... go black..."old school black".... it will turn green in time.

but IMHO.... black..."new black"... looks the cleanest with "better edges".

Can you send a pic of your idea?

where ya gettin it?

3. MAJOR METAL

Their is a guy down here in town who does my work, i am getting it on my upper right arm. I will get pics up maybe tommorow night. Black might not be a bad idea

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    BLACK

5. MAJOR METAL

Do you guys tip the tattoo artist?

6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Good question... I have, but not every time. Hmmmmm you are paying for their time.... that to me is enough.... but... well I don't know.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

8. I think it must be just me, but I don't like tatoos. To me, any decoration is a sign of where you are at now. Whether it's a sticker on your car or a tat on your arm it's dated. I've got a good friend who went all skinhead at the end of the 80's. He got himself a really nice "Skins" tatoo. He really wishes he didn't. When I was 18 I was going to get a Rose on my left deltoid. I'm glad I didn't then I'd have to explain to the kids- "well, I used to smoke a lot of pot and listen to a lot of mellow music, and roses drink a lot." It's not where I'm at and not what I like to project.

Far from the "my body is a temple" stuff I just don't dig it. Not that I have a problem with anyone else doing it, it's not for me.

BTW I don't like tats on chicks either. Nothing says "used" like ink scarring. It may not be true, but that's the way it comes across to me.

God, I'm a crusty old f**k...

9. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    and my wife is not used no matter how "YOU" look at it.

BAD POST GOLDEN BOY! :mad:

I don't care how many times you say "It's just me" or "IMHO" or whatever. The guy asked for an opinion on a color, not how YOU see things in life, or the regrets you had.

Bad post!... and I'd imagine there will be some hurt feelings, aside from mine.

schmuck! :mad:

10. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Golden Boy-

one more thing...

do us all a favor and don't raise your kids with the same close minded views, and generalizations as you have....

F-in shame...

sorry Kev... looks like this thread will expire shortly.

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, I also feel that tatoo's are not for me - but I don't know that was what was being discussed here. I think the question at hand was green or black. I don't think the poster wanted a debate on tatoos vs no tatoos. BTW, while I don't want any tatoos on my own body, I can still dig women who have tatoos. To each their own.

Major - my vote on color is for black.

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I vote for black, Major.

Also, Major, if you don't mind, I'd like to throw a question out for the rest of you......

I'm thinking of getting the picture seen below on my left shoulder. Now, the question is this:

I've seen some tatoo's of a sun and various other things that are orange and yellow. I would like to get the pic seen below to look exactly like that (color-wise, minus the black background and the circle around it ;) ). Would that be logical or even possible? More importantly, would it look good? :cool:

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would also go with black. It will look sharper, and cooler.

I mean, you know, tatoos are like ninjas. they can be mean or totally awesome. And they should BOTH be black.

14. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Now that's an educated man... pls take note on the tact used here folks.

Fair and Balanced as always Matt.

15. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Hey Ty, from a bass players point of view it's a very cool design - but I bet that if you get that tat, that every so often you'll get some yay-hoo asking about the "69 design" of your tatoo. Just a prediction.

16. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Ty-
    the lighter colors take longer to "do" and fade quicker afterwards..... ending in a permanent "bruise" look of sorts. i.e. Yellow, orange and the likes.

I do think Major has some lighter color.... Kevin....?

17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Yep. I know :D

I've had numerous people tell me that whenever I asked 'em what they thought.

Personally, I don't really care. It will be on my back, so only certain people will see it unless I'm at the lake or just walking around with my shirt off.

If they do say that, I can just make fun of their utter stupidity :D

18. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Yeah I know that the lighter colors fade quicker and you usually have to get them retouched, but personally I think they look better than the green or black. I've just never been a fan of regular old tatoo's, but the colored ones look really awesome.

I'm sure it'd cost more as well, but that'd be OK :D

19. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

get it branded then.....?

20. I didn't mean to insult you, your wife, your friends, or any of the millions of people who have tatoos. Tatoos are a method of presenting yourself. How you present yourself is your business. How other people recieve your presentation is pretty well out of your control.

Not everyone shares your views or values, likes or dislikes.

I apologize if I offended you. I will remove my post if you would like.