Green ringer on bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dreamer69, Jan 12, 2006.

1. dreamer69

Aug 30, 2005
    Somebody has play a bass with a dan armstrong green ringer(or a clone)???
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have owned clones of the Green Ringer by JD Sleep (General Guitar Gadgets) and Death By Audio.

I got the GGG one first, and it sounded GREAT -super smooth and musical- except that it rolled off some of the low end, so I had to use it in an effects loop so I could blend it with the original signal. But then, since the output of the Ringer includes the original signal, I ran into phase issues where lots of frequencies disappeared. I then contacted Death By Audio and had him make me a Ringer clone with a blend knob, a bass boost switch, and a phase-reverse switch, which I thought would be the most awesome bass Ringer ever, but actually it sounded like cr@p.

Looking inside the two boxes, the GGG one had impeccably clean and tidy workmanship, while the DBA one was like a box of wire spaghetti. I feel that the GGG mission was clean smooth sound, while the DBA mission was rauccous distortion, even though both were working from the same original circuit design, they each modified that design to give "their sound".

If you get ahold of a Green Ringer clone, just expect that it might roll off a little of your low end. The sound is totally worth it as a more chromatic and less obnoxious sort of ring-mod sound, and also as a neat non-grindy distortion. Or, figure out a mod to the circuit which will pass the lows without compromising the mids.
  3. OK, gotta bump this, I've been feeling the need for a Green Ringer a lot stronger than usual lately. I'm a total beginner when it comes to electronics but I can solder a bit. Would the GGG kit be a doable project for a beginner?
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Oh yeah, GGG kits are great. Well-laid-out and generally not difficult. I should get one myself, as my toolkit and knowhow have expanded in the time since I made that prior post.
  5. Cool, that'll be my semester break project then. Thanks.
  6. Beachcoma

Mar 19, 2007
    To counter the low end roll off, simply use larger in and output caps. I can't go into much detail right now, but i'll try to be back later to explain.

The first cap you see when reading the schematic from left to right is the input cap, standard its 0.047 uF. Try changing this to 0.1 uF.
    The last cap is the output cap, standard its 0.1 uF, try using 1uF.
    These mod will allow alot more bass through, and best option is probably to buy a stack of caps, in the 0.047 to 1uF range, and just try a couple to listen to the effect it has on the sound. To do this on the pcb, buy 2 sockets. this way you won't need to desolder/resolder all the time but just plug and play. When you've found the values, just solder them in to make it gigworthy.

Have fun