1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Greenboy Designs Official Club - Part 3: Loud, Light and Low!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 17, 2014.

1. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    Yes, Sub has 2 Speakon jacks.

Just took a photo and it looks like there's something wedged in the left hand side jack!

20181114_082825.

I'm just on my way to work but will have a closer look tonight.

Let me know what I'd need to look for with the 2 jacks.

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Hoyt likes this.

2. THAT is probably your issue right there!

RickyT likes this.
  3. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    Fingers crossed!

Hoyt likes this.
  4. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    I don't think whatever was in there was the issue.

I've swapped the Speakon cables around, tried them into both the left and right sides, I've tried running the amp into the Sub then Sub into 15/6/1. Not as deep a thump as if only 1 cab is connected. Standing 10ft away with a band playing made it very obvious that there was no bottom end. At low volume it's really hard to tell what's going on as it sounds "ok".

Here's a pic of the Sub speakon jacks. The speaker is connected to the right hand side then that is connected to the left.

20181114_153749.

5. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Speakers out of phase?

6. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    Yeah. Individually they sound great but playing both the 15/6/1 & 15sub together they sound awful. No bottom end at all.

7. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    This thread is going in circles. Put the red wires where the black wires are now. Put the black wires where the red wires are now. Put it back together and try it.

puff father, Hoyt, Jim Carr and 3 others like this.
  8. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    But, whatever you do, don't cut the green wire.

puff father, Hoyt and delta7fred like this.
  9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    What he said! Making changes in the 15/6/1 could be fraught with other problems.

Phase between the two crossovers and the 15 in the 15/6/1 has to be maintained, so the only reasonable place to switch the 15/6/1 is also at the input plate, IMHO.

RickyT likes this.
  10. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Were they both built by the same person? Do you know who built them?

11. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    I thought it was not cut the black one.

RickyT likes this.
  12. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Actually you can cut the green one and the black one, but first remove the fuse.

delta7fred, Hoyt and ahc like this.
  13. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    E8CEC25D-8C1B-4E1A-A07B-BA7E5323E4F9.

Not *that* wire!! Oh, crap!

puff father and Hoyt like this.
  14. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Jaco who? has it right . Just swap the red and black wires on the back of both inputs and you will be golden . Make sure you get them back on tight . If it were me I would have pulled the grill , then the speaker and just swapped the red and black wires on the speaker itself . The screw-on connectors on the speaker itself are much easier to change and get tight .

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    RickyT and Hoyt like this.
  15. Hey folks,

I've been looking into fEARful cabs, but can't seem to find a Canadian builder. I did find someone who it looks used to build the cabs, and tried to contact them through their site. It seemed like a longshot as the site seems abandoned, and haven't heard back.

Just wondering if I'm missing something or if any fellow Canadians who own a greenboy designed cab have any insight as to how to purchase a cab.

I guess I should point out that I don't have any of the skills needed to build a cab myself.

16. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    What about importing a cut kit, all the drivers, pre-built x-overs from a supplier like speakerhardware.com in the US, and hiring a local finish carpenter to build it?

DIY Speaker Kits & Parts | Speaker Hardware

17. lotusland9663

lotusland9663 Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Vancouver BC Canada
    PM'd

18. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I had my two Fearless cabs built by Greenboy Audio in Massachusetts and then shipped up.

CharlieC likes this.
  19. Do you remember how much shipping and duties turned out to be? This is something I had considered as well, but I'm afraid it will be very cost prohibitive.