1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Greenboy Designs Official Club - Part 3: Loud, Light and Low!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 17, 2014.

1. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    David Homer is in Michigan, I believe..

I think he still builds the fEARful line of cabs... his site is called Gig Masters

Hoyt likes this.
  2. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    Dave Homer built both of my fEarful cabs for me, and a fEarless. He is still building. Highly recommended.

MTN.bass72 likes this.
  3. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I’ll have a look. I think there was negligible duty under NAFTA since they were US-made; that’s likely to be sustained under the new version of the agreement. It was just shipping and HST coming across the border.

4. MTN.bass72

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Yep, I knew he's still building, just wasn't sure if he's still building the fEARful line... I absolutely loved the 12/6 I had.. not built by him... but loved it.. hate that I had to sell it... but, I love my F112 about as much

5. s_wood

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    Dave Homer is still building both fEarless and fEarful.

6. Meep

Meep

Oct 13, 2018
    I posted this new build recently in another thread... add me to the count! 12/6 finished in tweed! IMG_E8785.JPG

Raulplaysbass and TrevorOfDoom like this.
  7. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    IMO, the T3W crossover is the best option for anyone considering a new fEARful.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Can anyone suggest a cabinet that has the performance of a 15/6/1, but weighs a lot less? I'm having issues with a couple flights of stairs in Hawaii. Schlepping a ~60lb cab up or down stairs is really getting hard for me—pushing 70, LOL!

I'm thinking fearless or barefaced. Opinions and recommendations welcome!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  9. s_wood

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    My fEarful 15/6/1 weighs in at about 43 lbs. It was made of okoume by Dave Homer of GigMaster in Michigan. I could have also shaved a few more lbs off by omitting the tweeter, which I rarely use. YMMV.

CharlieC, Hoyt and Jim Carr like this.
  10. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    12/6?

11. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Aside from something like okoume construction, the laws of physics don't allow much wiggle room for a lighter bass cabinet with 15/6/1 performance. If you have access to a time machine, carbon nanotubes might be an option....

CharlieC, Hoyt and Jim Carr like this.
  12. Your best bet might be a pair of mirrored F112’s.

Jim Carr, CharlieC and Dave Hill like this.
  13. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    The Greenboy site lists the weight of a Fearless F115 as 43-52 lbs, so you could likely get to the 43 figure with okoume. Personally, I use the two mirrored F112s and they can cover just about anything, singly or doublely. About 35 lbs for mine in okoume.

Jim Carr, Hoyt and CharlieC like this.
  14. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm not 70 but I am 60 in April. Everything hurts, I hear ya. I gig a 5 string on frequent outdoor gigs that can pretty loud for old guys. They are public paid gigs in front of real live people in real live bars...

a fearless f112 is all you need. It wil take ALL that a Mesa 800+ can shove into 8 ohms and smile, I've run mine so hard with other power amps it would start to skate across the tile floor of one club I worked. (an unexpected downside of the super light builds )

That box is all you need. I think mine is a hair under 40 lbs. It really is a dream cab for the schlep

15. MTN.bass72

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    I'm gonna ditto what everyone else suggested... F112..
    Crazy awesome cab, and light.. I've ran a Mesa D800 into mine, and it loves it..
    And when I had my Noble, I ran it with a Crest Prolite 2.0 bridged and good gravy!!!
    It was simply stunning

Jim Carr and CharlieC like this.
  16. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Not sure an F112 is going to have the bottom end heft of a 15/6... but still a fine choice, IMO.

Jim Carr and CharlieC like this.
  17. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    The significant difference is that the F115 will get louder and do it with less power. It’s the biggest bang for the buck in the Fearless line, but I’ll agree that the F112 is more than enough for most applications. I find that when I get a repeat order, it’s almost always for a smaller cab than the first one. To this point I see that there is someone in Austin looking to trade an F115 for an F112.

jmlee, Dave Hill, Jim Carr and 4 others like this.
  18. I am in Canada, but I built mine from scratch..the only thing i got in Canada were the drivers (cheaper bizarrely enough) and the wood. Big place out east sells lots of drivers...and the rest i would get from speaker hardware, yes the kit,,great idea,,get it shipped to a place just across the border (if u are near) you then pay pst/gst and and about 10% when you cross back.......of course on top of our worthless money the price is going up rapidly..or you can just buy one from the US ready built...All you need is money.

19. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Just picked up this bad-boy used (a 12/6). DAMN it sounds good! I want to build a 12 sub (or maybe another 12/6?) to go with it like immediately!!

Weird thing though, it is nowhere near as loud as my GK Neo 112 at the same volume on the amp. Sure in comparison, the GK sounds like mud, and the the 12/6 still sounds awesome if I turn the head up to match the volume. But the GK overall is considerably louder. I wonder... is that normal?

upload_2019-1-15_9-13-43-.

20. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I don't know about the Fearful cabs, but my Fearless cabs are power hogs. To get high sound pressure levels requires a significant investment in amp power. For example, my upright amp is a 650 watt (@4 ohms) Acoustic Image Clarus SL. With one Fearless F112 (8 ohms) it's plenty loud for my big band and for any small combo gigs and music theatre. With two of the F112s and the Clarus I've played a loud blues show on upright without sound support for the bass in a moderate-sized room. Great tone, but at about the limits with that available power. For a proper rock show, I use the two F112s with a BMax-T preamp running into a Crest Audio Pro-lite 2.0. Bridged, that's 2000 watts available into 4 ohms. I don't need that much power but I love a lot of headroom and that's really what it takes. So...great tone and they can get loud, but they want watts and lots of them.:nailbiting: